~Chapter Nine~

******** TRIGGER WARNING ********** Some nonconsensual themes again in this chapter - please read with caution!! Thank you!! 

_______________________

          Other than Matthew's sobs and the crackling of the fire, the village had grown silent. I didn't dare move... didn't dare utter a word... not with Mother's life now on the line...

           ... but I knew deep down there was nothing I could do to shelter her from the fate she had brought down upon herself for my sake.

           Founder Marco took a few steps closer, blocking Mother from my view. I again shuffled to the side, trying to keep my eyes on Mother for as long as I could.

          "Amelia..." I heard Founder Marco say, the disappointment evident in his tone and completely masking the anger I knew was there. "You foolish, foolish woman."

          Mother said nothing. She continued to stare up at him, a strange look on her face... what was that look? She appeared... happy? Peaceful?

          "What could you possibly have gained from this ridiculous act?" Founder Marco questioned. His voice had lowered, and I was sure only the villagers closest to us would be able to make out what he was saying. "Surely you know that once you have been made the next sacrifice to the Venge, I shall continue to do as I please with Eleyah."

          "No..." I whimpered, but not for me. Hearing him say aloud that he intended to have mother put to death caused my knees to shake. I felt lightheaded... dizzy...

          "Because I will die knowing I did what I could to protect my daughters from you," mother said, her voice was soft but there was a deadly firmness to it. "I did not stand by and allow you to treat them as you did me... at least over this I have control."

          Founder Marco was silent a moment, then he began to laugh. It was a chilling sound, not only because it was a horrible sound but because none of us knew why he found this situation... why he could possibly find mother's words amusing...

          "I once thought you intelligent, Amelia," Founder Marco taunted. "If you were really trying to protect your daughters from me you should have thought a bit further ahead." He turned his back to her so that he faced me.

          The evil that gleamed in his eyes was petrifying.

          "Remove your cloak, Eleyah," Founder Marco ordered.

          My face paled.

          "No!" Mother shrieked.

          It was more than my head could process and I stood completely frozen, too frightened and overwhelmed to move a muscle.

          "Do not make me repeat myself," Founder Marco warned as his eyes bore into mine.

           I still did not move. I could not move.

          Founder Marco moved closer to me. "Eleyah, I will not hesitate to kill her before your eyes and toss her body to the Venge. Now, do as I say."

          I was shaking. I needed to do something... needed to move. If I did what he said, maybe mother would be spared... maybe... I let my eyes fall to the ground as I slipped my cloak off. It collapsed in a heap at my feet, and I heard my mother let out a sob.

          Her defiance had been defeated so easily... and now she was just as much a wreck as I was.

          I could not look at him, but I felt Founder Marco grab hold of me. He spun me around to face my mother and roughly held me with my back to his chest. One of his arms was wrapped tightly around my waist, the other hand had me by my throat. I cringed at his touch feeling as though I was being held down by a dozen snakes rather than a man. He held me so tightly, I knew there was no escape for me. My eyes slowly lifted to meet mother's, tears glistening in my eyes.