23 | Like Mother, Like Daughter

Chapter Twenty-Three: Like Mother, Like Daughter

Sneaking out was a lot harder than I thought.

At first, I couldn't find the knot in the tree, and when I did, I completely forgot about what the Whomping Willow could do to you if you just wander around it in circles.

That was my first mistake.

I had a gash on my forehead, and it disappeared into my fiery hair. Great, now I can't tell the difference between my blood and my hair.

With the tree paralysed, its branches frozen in mid air, I proceeded towards Honeydukes to enter the Secret Passage in the basement, crouching behind random objects to remain hidden.

I was about five feet away from the open window (Merlin knows why the owners keep it open -- do they want to get burgled or something?) when I stopped dead in my tracks.

There's something behind me.

And it was cold. Very cold. It felt as if my insides had decided to stop functioning and freeze. I wanted to stop right there, and lay down on the soft, pretty snow.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do...

But the second I thought that, I shot up again, bolting towards the window and diving through it.

Maybe it was because of the fact that I heard the Dementor's horrible, rattling breath behind me. Or maybe it was because I heard someone -- a woman -- telling me to get up this instance before she whooped my ass (I think I imagined that part).

I landed with an earth-shattering thud -- well, you would have thought so if it's the only noise you heard in the middle of the night. I cringed at the sound and got up, but then I heard another sound. The sound of a switch being turned on. Oh, shoot.

"Who's there?" Said a man's tired voice. "I'm warning you, I'm armed!"

As silently as I could, I ran across the shop, weaving in and out of the shelves towards the basement. Thank goodness the door is open!

I carefully tread on the steps, wary of the creaks it would make. Fortunately I made to the trap door without a peep. I almost couldn't see it, what with it being dark and near invisible.

I dug my nails into the cracks between the wood and flung it open.

I don't care if I'm being extremely loud right now, I just wanna get out of this place!

However, that wasn't clever on my part. The shuffling of feet was heard above and I knew it was coming closer, so I jumped down and slammed the Secret door behind me, not pausing to take a sigh of relief as I ran on.

Let's just hope whoever's on Patrol doesn't find me.

***

Severus Snape was sick of children. That was probably a universally known fact, as far as he was concerned, so it was a wonder why Dumbledore had been so keen to have him teach the snot-nosed brats and expect him not to be mean. He bitterly remembered as soon as the thought had passed; it was to keep an eye on him. The old bat was diseased with the desire to have control over everything, thinking he knew what was best for everyone. His mind wandered to the person he had least expected to see -- least of all alive. Why had he brought her here?

How had she survived all this time?

Why did she have to be so much like her mother?

Severus had been prowling the corridors with unpleasant thoughts for long enough years to not let them distract him, so he immediately heard loud, laboured breathing from the corridor on his right. His scowl deepened. He instinctively thought it must be Potter. Wait 'till he got his hands on whichever foolish child decided to sneak out--

He turned sharply to the left and a small figure bumped into him. The girl stumbled and he immediately caught her arm in a vice-like grip to prevent her from falling. "Well, well, well, what do we have--?" Severus stopped short. Dark, obsidian eyes stared back at him in fear and her hair was splayed out messily, a thick gash on her head dripping blood down the side of her face.

Violett.

"What are you doing here?" Hissed Severus quietly, regaining his composure in a split-second. "It's almost an hour after curfew and you're here, running around like a fool when the Dementors could find you!"

"I know, but I--" she started.

"--How could you know anything? You're just an idiot child," he sneered, narrowing his eyes in a harsh glare. She glared back at him, face blooming red in anger.

"I'm not a puny little--"

"--Five points from Gryffindor."

"For what?!"

"For talking back to a teacher."

"But I was just--"

"Talk again and it's another five points for disrespecting me," said Severus, lips curling.

Just as the girl was about to protest, Severus heard a heard distant mewling, and the sound of a lame leg being dragged on the floor.

"Come on, Mrs Norris, it's this way!" exclaimed the harsh voice of Filch, the Squib caretaker. As he came into view, Severus shoved Violett's cold frame behind him, hiding her.

"Ah, Professor, I think a student is out of bed!" he said, giddily, that darn cat of his brushing against his leg.

Severus felt Violett stiffen behind him and clutch his robes.

"Ah," he replied, "yes, I saw it, too. Fourth floor. I'll be with you shortly, I have some business to attend to."

"What business?" The Squib asked suspiciously.

Severus glared at him hard, eyes glinting with falsley restrained vice. "What I do and my reasons for them are none of your concern, Argus." The Squib grunted, and his cat hissed at Severus. Violett clutched his robes tighter.

"Now, hurry, before the student gets away," Severus ordered, and he obliged, limping away with his cat moping behind him.

Suddenly, Severus heard a strangled cry behind him, and he turned to see Violett looking pale and vaguely tortured.

"What's wrong with you?" Severus asked incredulously, worried for her mental health.

"C-caaaaaaat," she wailed, sounding as if she was being possessed.

"You're scared of cats?" He asked, and he had to vehemently shove down the smile that was begging to uplift the corner of his mouth.

She snapped out of her unnatural phase of shock, and snapped, "Stop smiling, it's not funny!"

She's more like Rosalind than I thought.

[Written: 06/15]

[Edited: 13/07/16, 13/07/17, 19/05/20]

THANK YOU, SO MUCH, FOR OVER 7K READS! I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOMESAUCE. ♡