21 | Meeting Padfoot

Chapter Twenty-One: Meeting Padfoot

This is stupid.

I stared at the book in front of me, feeling laughter rise up in my throat. This is my boggart? The thing that I fear most?

Professor Lupin was looking at me oddly. Great, now he probably thinks I'm scared of books or something. At least he doesn't know it's a Harry Potter book, or things would go slightly crazy.

"Um... Riddikulus," I said, jabbing my wand at the book and it transformed into a copy of the Monster Book of Monsters. I went to the back of the line, feeling really confused when all of a sudden I felt really depressed, and then it was gone as soon as I heard, "Riddikulus!" That was probably Professor Lupin getting rid of Harry's Boggart.

I joined Ron at the back, "A book?!" Ron whisper-yelled at me and I shrugged. "Why would you be scared of a book?" I don't even know the answer to that myself.

A few days later, on one particular evening, Harry came into the Gryffindor Common Room cold and stiff to find that it was buzzing with excitement.

"What's happened?" He asked Ron and Hermione, who were sitting at two of the best seats by the fireplace trying to complete their Astronomy homework. I was sitting on the floor cross-legged, experimenting with my hair as I had already finished my homework by writing a whole load of shit the day before.

I'll probably just copy off 'Mione... if she lets me, that is.

"Hogsmeade weekend," said Ron, pointing to the notice board. "End of October. Hallowe'en."

"Excellent," said Fred, popping out of no where from behind Harry. "I need to visit Zonko's, I'm running out of stink pellets."

Harry threw himself onto the seat beside Ron, hand hitting my face. "Ow!"

"Sorry," he said, not sounding like he meant it at all. I feel loved.

Hermione looked at him in pity. "Harry, I'm sure you'll be able to go next time," she said. "They're bound to catch Black soon, he's been sighted once already."

"Black's not fool enough to try anything in Hogsmeade," said Ron. "Ask McGonagall if you can go this time, Harry, the next one might not be for ages--"

"Ron!" said Hermione. "Harry's supposed to stay in school--"

"He can't be the only third-year left behind," said Ron. "Ask McGonagall, go on, Harry--"

"Ahem," I coughed. "I think you've forgotten someone."

"And Violett," he corrected himself.

"Besides, you're saying that not going to Hogsmeade is a bad thing. I'm not going either, remember? We can have so much fun pranking the Slytherins for when they return!" I said excitedly.

"Wait," said Harry, his curiousty peaking. "You're not going? Didn't Snape sign your form?"

"No, and I don't think he will after what happened that time in Potions..." I replied.

"What happened?" I froze.

"Nothing! I've got to go to do some... stuff. See ya later!" I said quickly, jumping up and running to my dorm where I flopped face first onto my bed. I still haven't told them what happened when dad kept me back after Potions. I haven't told anyone yet, and I'm hoping to keep it that way.

I heard the door creak open, and then click shut as someone approached my bed. Oh, please leave me alone...

"Violett?" came 'Mione's voice, "Are you alright?"

I was silent for a moment before saying, "Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

I heard her sigh. "I know you're not, so you can tell me what happened that time in Potions with Snape."

"No."

"Come on, Violett, you'll feel better when-"

"I said no!" I snapped at her, but apologised immediately after I saw her face fall. "I'm sorry... I just..."

"It's okay, you can tell me when you're ready," she said, getting ready to leave, but I couldn't take it anymore. I just had to tell someone-anyone-or it's going to be bottled up inside me for too long and then I might explode.

Not literally, of course. But y'know what I mean.

"I need to go somewhere, I'll be back soon." I informed 'Mione, before grabbing my wand and running out of the dorm before she could ask where I was going. I'm going to tell someone, someone I've been meaning to meet for a very long time.

***

I was able to walk in my normal height, seeing as though I was short enough for the tunnel to slightly graze the top of my head. My steps were cautious but quick, using the light from my wand to guide me. The floorboards creaked under me and I stopped, before continuing up the stairs. This was creepy, alright.

Clutching the little bag of food I brought with me in my left hand, I slowly pushed open the door and peeked inside. It was completely empty, except for a large, barely stable bed in the corner of the room by the windows which were boarded up and a battered sofa which had one of the sides sloping off. It was very dusty and disorganised and the paper was peeling off the walls.

"Nox," I whispered, and the light from the tip of my wand blew out like a candle, but I could still see.

I was in the Shrieking Shack.

Don't even ask how I got past the Dementors undetected, that remains a mystery to me. I like to think that my awesomeness helped me get here. Don't judge.

I tugged at my sweater feeling a bit scared, and stepped forward. "Hello?" I said softly, as if the Dementors could possibly hear me if I spoke any louder. I heard a soft growl from my right, and I looked over. Nothing.

Walking slowly to the centre of the battered room, I turned round and round, looking for some sign of where the growl came from. But I couldn't see anything. I knew what it was, of course, but I had every right to feel scared. Suddenly, something pushed me from behind and I fell forward on to my hands and knees. Flipping over, a black figure jumped onto my front and shoved it's face into mine.

It was Padfoot.

[Written: 28/03/15]

[Edited: 13/07/16, 13/07/17]