twenty-one

"Just keep your eyes closed, E. Do you not trust me?"

He scoffed at her. Her first attempt of trying to cover his eyes had failed when he stood up straight and she was no longer able to reach his eyes. "I don't like surprises, Mia."

"I know you don't, that's why this is so fun for me." After some protests and back and forth petty arguing, he finally agreed to keep his eyes closed as she guided him somewhere, hands intertwined, as she excitedly chatted to him. "Okay, you can open them now."

Erling did as told, his eyes were met with a car, nothing out of the ordinary but she looked excited enough about it for him to replicate her emotions. "You got a new car?"

She nodded her head, clapping her hands excitedly. "I did, I know you didn't like the mini so I got a bigger car, it's needed anyways, I'm quitting my job, decided I wanna work as a district nurse instead!" She replied. "Oh and wait look at the boot!" He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. She took the intiative and opened the back of the car by herself, the entire boot covered in empty boxes, except for one. "I got you some clothes to keep at mine, just in case we get a repeat of the other day. They're not exactly the designer clothing you're used to but they're only for chillin' at mine or if, or when, you stay the night. All I could afford on a nurse's wage!"

His heart warmed at her simple gesture. Something that showed she thought about him when going about her daily routine. Something he had yet to see from anyone else. She was the thing that kept him grounded, much like his mother had claimed. She was a glimpse into the reality for 98% of the population. "Thank you, Mia. It means a lot to me. No-one's done this for me before."

"That is because, my dear, you've never had time to date someone. I'm here to help you with that."

"What if I just want to date you?"

"Ew that's gross, we're just friends?" She teased.

Her words echoed, it was a response he wasn't expecting. All the kisses shared, intimate moments were nothing but mere friendship? He could hardly believe it. He had assumed they were dating but could going on one date be classified as dating? His thoughts began to overwhelm him, he knew he wasn't good at dealing with the whole emotions thing but he never expected to let it get the best of him.

"E, I was just messing with you." Amelia spoke, her message falling onto deaf ears. He was too engrossed with his own thoughts. She grabbed his hand, bringing him back to reality. "I was joking."

He nodded, pulling her into an embrace, one that he had needed more than her. Amelia didn't put up a fight and just accepted the embrace. They stayed that way for awhile, Amelia not making a sound, just appreciating their closeness.

He watched as she paced back and forth, her fingers tangled in her hair, most likely picking at her scalp. An anxious habit she had formed since he could remember. She had been doing the repetitive movement for nearly an hour. He kept track of the time. "Mia, you'll be great! They will love you at your new job. Stop pacing. You are making my head ache."

A voice from the door caught the both of them off guard. It was Chloe. "Welcome to my world, Erling. She does this all the time." Chloe paused. "She actually paced for 3 hours straight before your date, stressing that it'd go wrong. Also, Amelia, you still have two weeks left of your notice period, stop stressing out, do that next sunday."

Erling never thought about what Amelia would've been doing before their first date, despite knowing her so well he never really thought she would be the type to stress out about a date. Amelia always presented herself as calm and collected in front of people, but she was different when viewed in an intimate space, a space where she was comfortable. He liked that about her, the way she had this persona in front of others and reserved her true self to those that mean the most to her. He liked a lot of things about her, he always had.

He caressed her cheek, as tears streamed down her face. He found it almost amusing that she had been so upset about the film that they had just finished. He hated how he thought she was still beautiful even with her tear stained face and smudged mascara. He desperately wanted to find a flaw in the woman, to make him feel adequate enough for her. Although the media had done nothing but praise him, he couldn't help but wonder whether he was worthy of such praise in her eyes. He had a habit of underestimating himself, thinking about all the missed opportunities in life or dwelling on things/goals he missed.

He was grateful to be where he was but on odd occassions he often wished that he could've gone down the same path as his brother and sister and lived a life away from the limelight. Perhaps, he could've become a farmer, look after his land and animals and spend time away from the hustle and bustle of city crowds. He loved being a footballer, it was truly his passion but he felt like he was always kept under a watchful eye. He hated how he missed out on doing things that normal people his age did. Though, the people he was surrounded with never failed to ensure that he created good memories to look back on when he was frail and old. Memories he could look back on with Amelia, as they sat in their living room over looking the farm.

He was so lost in his thoughts, Amelia had assumed he was fast asleep, letting her thoughts and feelings out to him, as she played with his hair. "You know, E, sometimes I wish I just plastered a smile on my face and never begged my mum and dad to go home that summer. I wish I just fought through all the pain I felt watching you drift away but I wouldn't change what I did for the world because it meant I get to be here with you now. I get my E back. I missed you for so many years and every minute with you just doesn't feel enough. Out of billions of people in the world and you're my favourite. This is disgusting and soppy and I'm so happy you're not awake to hear it."

He tried his hardest to supress his laughter but failed miserably. "I heard it all." He smirked, a smug look all over his face, causing the Australian to playfully smack his arm.

"I hate you." She fake pouted, turning her head away from him, a similar smirk on her face.

He placed his hand under her chin, using it to turn it back so she would look at him. "I do not hate you, I love you."

"In a platonic way, of course." She added.

Erling didn't disagree despite wanting to, he didn't have the energy to. He was tired from that afternoon's match and her words seemed to suck what was left of his energy out of him. He didn't want to seem too rash but he had more than enough time to sit on it. He knew he loved her, in more than just a platonic way. In some sense, he probably always had, he just never realised. She had been his first thought in the morning and the last one at night. Maybe that was the reason as to why he never felt as though he could connect to Freja. How could he when Amelia was the sun and he was a mere red dwarf in the same galaxy?