twenty-seven

Amelia stared at him blankly, unsure if she had heard him right. He sat fidgeting with the hem of his t-shirt, awaiting her answer. The silence was almost deafening, threatening to let the emotions that were bubbling spill out. What if he had ruined their friendship by blindly asking that question? He kept his gaze down, almost frightened to look at her. What if she had a look of pity written all over her? What if she looked angry and annoyed? He couldn't bear to see the inevitable rejection that was coming his way.

"I'm not sure I heard that right, E." She spoke softly, aware of the hurt he was feeling. She could no longer sit in the unbearable silence they were presented in.

The words were a comfort to him, she wasn't thinking of ways to gently let him down but rather hadn't heard him. He felt himself relax, finding the confidence he had lost during her silence. "I want you to be my girlfriend, Mia. I cannot go a second without thinking about you or being in your presence."

She lightly placed her hand on his face, the action causing him to finally meet her gaze. It was soft and loving, opposite to what he was expecting. A look that made him nostalgic yet eased his worries about their future. She smiled, as their eyes met. In that moment, he was unsure as to why he had been worried about her response. It was obvious to everyone, including himself, just how much Amelia had loved Erling, even before he realised his own feelings. "I'll be anything you want me to be, E. I'm all yours."

His lips crashed on to hers, her words filling his head, banishing every doubtful thought away. Words wouldn't be able to describe the feeling of ecstasy he felt as she gave him the response he had desperately needed to hear. He felt her smile against his lips. Amelia was his and he was hers. A part of him knew that deep down he had awaited this moment for years, despite his internal protests to hide his feelings for her. He wondered at what moment he had developed the intense feelings he had for her, or whether they had always been like this but he was too frightened to admit how he felt for his best friend.

Maybe this had been a dream produced by his guilty conscience for how he had treated her during their teen years, although there would be no possible way his mind would be able to replicate such delicate feelings in such a realistic way. Erling knew from the way she looked at him, with all the pride and love her body could produce, that this was real, she was really sat in front of him. His girlfriend.

"Who did you confide in this time?" She teased, as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "Was it Jack, by any chance?"

Erling nodded, suddenly feeling insecure. Had he really been that predictable? He hadn't even told Jack about their falling out, yet he found himself, typing away at a message one evening, spilling everything and every thought in his mind. From what happened and their three week no contact period, to seeing her and knowing he wanted nothing more than for the brunette to be his girlfriend. "How did you know?" Erling asked. Had Jack said something to her, mocking him?

Amelia burst out into laughter, tears pooling in her eyes from her laughter, confusing the blond. She looked at him, as she caught her breath, trying to calm herself. "He kept sending me weird messages asking if he was my 'bestie' yet. Thought it was just 'cause he was drunk and celebrating." She spoke, tears still in her eyes. Of course, Jack wouldn't be able to hide the secret as well as Erling had thought he would. It was Jack, afterall. At least he hadn't told her outright of his plans. Erling let out a small laugh at the thought.

With his arm wrapped around her, they sat comfortably in silence as the Australian typed away at her phone, sending messages to mess with his English teammate. Her little giggles sounded divine to him. His eyes scanning at the words on her screen, as Jack spammed her with messages in panic.

"what do u mean he asked u to be his girl
and u said no? are u ok mils?"

"think im more heartbroken than big Erl,
havent even asked him if hes ok yet. u
piss me off."

"you'd be so lucky to have Erl as ur bf,
i'll have him u bitch."

He planted small kisses on her head as she slowly fell asleep in his embrace. His question had clearly distracted her from leaving, something he felt guilty for. He knew she had work early the next morning and  here she was, falling asleep on his sofa.

Erling never expected to get into a relationship when he moved to Manchester, let alone for it to be with the woman he was so adamant to avoid. He was in disbelief at how the world worked, he was so drawn to her that he wondered how he ever went without her. She was his biggest fan, she had always supported him, so the idea that he was so hesitant to reunite with her, in the first place, baffled him. He couldn't imagine being in the city without her. She was the breath of home he needed to keep him grounded.

He sat frozen, not wanting to move, fearing that doing so would wake the woman sleeping on him. He wanted her to be well rested, even if it meant sacrificing his own comfort, satisfied with the idea that she was safe and well in his arms. As he sat in silence, his mind began to flood with questions. How would they tell his family? How would they react? What would her family say? Afterall, he had broken her heart before, though he hated to admit it. It's funny how the tables turned and now the woman was the one holding his fragile heart in her small hands.

Her eyes were glossy from her sleep, a nightmare had awoken her, as well as Erling. He knew he had to act different this time, not to panic and kick her out when he felt under qualified to deal with the situation. He pulled her into him, feeling her shoulders instantly relax at his touch. A sign that she felt safe with him. He held her face in his hands, as though he was shielding her broken expression from the world. The terrifying dream had made her clammy causing her hair to stick to her face. Despite this, he still felt himself in awe of her beauty. "It's alright, Mia. I'm here." He spoke gently, looking into her eyes.

She didn't respond but closed her eyes, leaning into his touch. He desperately wanted to take her anguish and pain away despite not knowing the source of it. Something his brother had made very clear she would open up about when she was ready. He often found himself pondering what had happened in the eight years they were apart. He felt like he knew so much about Amelia, yet so little. How could he call her his girlfriend when he hadn't even learnt of the root of her nightmares and pain?

"I love you, Amelia Tiatto, and I promise that as long as I am alive and breathing you will always be safe with me."