Chapter 4 - The Reaping

Clove's POV
I wake up feeling fully rested and ready for the day. Then I realise today is the day of the Reaping. My mood is dampened and brightened at the same time. It's dampened because I might survive, but then Cato'd die. I'd never live with the sadness or guilt. My mood was brightened, though, as my dream of finally going to the Hunger Games would finally come true.

I get up and take a shower and get dressed into a khaki dress with black combat boots and a black hairpiece.

By the time I'm ready, it's time to go.

Cato's POV
Once I'm dressed in my white shirt and black jeans, we leave, and meet Clovers.

As usual, we get our fingers pricked and stamped onto a piece of paper, and go through. I meet Clove on the other side and we get into our sections, I'm in the 17 year old boys section, and she's in the 15 year old girls section.

Suddenly we hear quick, small clacks as our district escort comes clattering out. I think she said her name was Eurovine Summerville. The Capitol people have weird names.

"Welcome, welcome to the 74th Annual Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favour." Eurovine says in her sickly sweet posh voice. It's horrible.

Clove's POV
At this point, I'm tired if this. The Capitol people have such weird accents, and looks. Eurovine was wearing a neon green wig with hot pink flowers in it. She had a hot pink dress and neon green clattering heels. She had pale green foundation, and the rest of her make up was hot pink.

"Now, we have a very special video, brought to you all the way from the Capitol!" Says Eurovine in that same, strange Capitol voice. "War terrible war..." the video started, but I tuned it out, as I heard the video so many times before.

I was suddenly taken out of my daydreams as I heard Eurovine's squeaky voice start talking.

"Ah! I just love that! Now as usual, ladies first." She elegantly puts her hand in the girls bowl. She digs around for a bit and then pulls out a slip of paper. She waddles back to the microphone and opens the slip elegantly. "Ahem, Jessie Toore!" I have absolutely no idea who she is, but, like I'm supposed to, I shouted out, "I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!" Then I walk up to the stage surrounded by Peacekeepers. "And what is your name, dear?" Asks Eurovine. "Clove Kentwell." I say proudly. Everyone cheers. "Now for the boys!" Exclaims Eurovine excitedly.

Cato's POV
I watch as Clove proudly stated her name, and everyone cheers for her.

"Now for the boys!" Eurovine says in her sickly sweet tone. Once again, Eurovine elegantly dips her hand into the bowl, rummages around for a bit before pulling out a name at random, and making her way back to the microphone. She tenderly opens the slip of paper and reads, "Terry Goodson!" Almost immediately, I shout out, "I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute." I jog up to the stage. "What's your name, dear?" Asks Eurovine once again. "Cato Hadley." I say with as much pride as Clove did. "Well let's have a big hand for our District 2 tributes for the 74th Annual Hunger Games, Clove Kentwell and Cato Hadley! And may the odds be ever in your favour." Eurovine says over the clapping and cheering.

After that, the Peacekeepers escorted us to the Court of Justice. They put me in a fancy room, and shut the doors.

About two minutes later, the doors open again and income my family. I hug each of them- my younger sister Kayla, my mom and my dad. "I'll try my best to come home. Remember don't be sad, it's an honour to go into the Games." My family nods. Then Peacekeepers barge in and take my family out.

Clove's POV
I'm shoved into a room that is basically all velvet. I sit down on a chair and stare at aw all for what seems like eternity, until the door opens again, and incomes my family- my father and my older brothers, Liam and Alexander.

My dad hugs me very tight, and I hug him back. He then breaks away and I hug my brothers. "We'll try our hardest to keep you alive, baby sis." Alexander said. "Thanks, Xander, Li." They just smile. "Dad I'll try to come home, don't worry." "It's an honour to have all my kids in the Hunger Games. Whatever happens, I'll be proud of you, honey." "Thanks Dad." Then the Peacekeepers pull them out and the three minutes I had to talk with them are up.

~~~~~~
And that is the end of the 4th chapter! Hope you're enjoying it and had a great Easter :)

-Smiley0913