Chapter 10

Isther's mind raced as he left the Crown Prince's chamber. He knew the Crown Prince was right - they needed to contain the panic and prevent the news of the King's poisoning from spreading any further. But how could they do that when the palace was already in chaos?

He made his way to the main courtyard where he saw groups of palace staff and residents huddled together, their faces etched with worry and fear. Isther took a deep breath and stepped forward, his authoritative voice cutting through the panicked chatter.

"Listen to me, everyone!" he called out. "I need you all to stay calm and listen carefully. The news of the King's poisoning is just a rumor. It is not true. The King is fine, and there is no reason to panic."

Some of the people in the crowd looked skeptical, but Isther pressed on.

"I promise you all, as one of the King's most loyal servants, that the King is in good health. He is not sick, and he has not been poisoned. You can trust me on this. We cannot afford to let these rumors spread any further. We must maintain order and stability within the palace."

Isther's words seemed to have some effect on the crowd. They began to disperse, albeit slowly and with a few lingering glances of doubt.

But Isther knew that he couldn't rely solely on his words to contain the panic. He needed to take action. He decided to send a few trusted messengers to spread the word to other areas of the palace and to the outer city. He also ordered some of the palace guards to keep a close eye on anyone spreading rumors or causing unnecessary panic.

As the day wore on, Isther's efforts seemed to pay off. The panicked whispers and rumors gradually died down, and the palace began to return to some semblance of normalcy.

Isther knew that it wasn't a perfect solution, but for now, it would have to do. He hoped that the King's condition would improve soon, so they could put all this chaos behind them.

It is now imperative to hold accountable the individual who is responsible for the current state of the King's health and ensure that they face justice.

MARTHA sat trembling as tears streamed down her face. She fervently prayed to all the gods and deities she knew to spare her life. Isther, one of the King's most trusted and respected servants, was interrogating her with an authoritative tone.

She knew Isther well. He was renowned for his valor in battle and his unwavering loyalty to the king.

"Who gave you the poison to put in the king's tea?" Isther asked, his voice stern and commanding.

Isther realized that it was highly unlikely for a maid to carry out the poisoning alone.

Martha was filled with fear, knowing that her life was in danger. She spoke the truth as she had rehearsed, hoping to avoid any missteps that might implicate her further.

Martha took a deep breath and tried to steady her trembling hands. "No one, sir," she replied, her voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't poison the King."

Isther's expression remained stern. "Then how do you explain the poisoned tea that was delivered to his chambers?"

Martha's mind raced as she tried to come up with an explanation. "I...I didn't make the tea, sir," she stammered. "Someone gave it to me to deliver to the King."

Isther narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "And who gave you the tea?"

"It was one of the guards, sir," Martha replied. "But I don't know him. He was unfamiliar to me. It was the first time I had seen him."

"You expect me to believe that?" Isther retorted, his eyes narrowing. "You, who were tasked with making the tea, just happened to be given a poisoned one by a stranger?"