Chapter 11: Confusion

(Heden's POV)
_______________

Ughhh!

I internally screamed as I slowly sat up on the ground, feeling the strong ache in my headache.

It took me a while to open my eyes and look at my surroundings. It was neither too dark nor too bright. The tree barks and branches were the only things I could see in the dim light. There was also the sounds of birds chirping.

And it's so good and peaceful here. This peace is the only thing I like without anyone to distu-- wait!

Without anyone?

My eyes snapped open wider as the memories came running into my mind before my vision darkened.

I remembered I was with Fawna and we're mates. And... then when we returned back to our tribe, everything was destroyed.

And... then...

Then...

I remembered I met my father...

And...

Ughhh!

I remembered taking the unconscious Fawna with me and found my father near the entrance of the tribe following his smell...

And...

Oh no!

My heart beat quickened as I remembered what exactly happened back then.

Fawna! I need to save her...

Father! Oh father! How could you do this to me?!

.
.
.

FLASHBACK

This smell... I'm sure this is my father.

I'm sure he's somewhere here and there... I just need to find him.

So where exactly is he?

I carried unconscious Fawna in my arms as I hugged her tightly in my embrace.

Even though I wasn't an expert in tracking someone with their smell like the carnivorous races... I still got the ability to track others by their smell from my mother who is a tigress.

So, it took a while but I found my father who was somehow lying near a collapsed house with his back leaning against a tree. Only a part of his front profile was visible to me.

"Father?"

I called out. And he slowly turned towards my way. He blinked once... twice... thrice... as if he was making sure it wasn't his dream.

But I focused on something else.

My father's chest was half opened and all bloodied. There were some sharp claw marks on his stomach and back too which I failed to notice earlier.

"Father, are you okay?" I hastily increased my pace and came in a jipsy near him, "What happened to you? To our home? What's going on here?"

"Heden, is that you? Oh my sweet child, is that really you? Are you saf... wait! Who are you carrying in your arms?"

"Father, I'm all good. This is Fawna the new female who came into our tribe, she's my mate now. But you-"

And before I could finish my sentence of how to help him and ask about mom and others, I saw something flash in my father's eyes as he suddenly stood up and came rushing towards me.

In reflex, I avoided him. But he didn't stop there as he again charged at me making me confused as well as urging my consciousness to go in high alert.

"Father, what are you-"

"Heden, good child, give that female to me."

"Fa-father? What are you trying to-"

"Heden, my sweet child. Listen to your father. Leave that female. We'll find someone else for you. Just leave that female and give her to me. They took your mother away from me because of that female. Just give her to me and I'll bring your mother back to us. Okay? Good child," coaxed my father in a strange voice as I witnessed his eyes flashing with craziness.

I know how crazy my father was for my mother... But he's confusing me now.

Just what is he saying?

Has he lost his mind?

What does something happening to my mother related to Fawna?

Fawna was with me for all this while... And she's even my fated mate.

Just what is my father say-

"Heden, didn't you hear me? GIVE THAT FEMALE TO ME!" My father suddenly screamed as he came towards me with much more aggression.

My mind was blankening... I didn't know how to cope up with physically and mentally.

Fawna was still unconscious in my arms... and my father is behaving in such a way.

The tribe is destroyed... and my fellow beasts were all gone to GOD-KNOWS-WHERE.

I evaded and... evaded my father's attempts on trying to snatch Fawna away from me.

My possessiveness and protectiveness for my mate was arousing in each and every breath I took.

While my heart and mind also screamed not to lose control on my weak* father who had lost his insanity.

[A/N: Heden is the child of a horse and tigress. So, even if he's beast form is a horse, he has the blood of tiger in him, making him stronger than his father who is a pure horse.]

I was still evading when I felt something sharp between my nape and head as Fawna's unconscious body fell from my hands as my consciousness started to shut from the outside world.

(Flashback ended)
.
.
.

But before I fully lost consciousness I clearly heard my father's last words.

"Forgive me, child. But your mother is more important to me than you or your love. I can do anything to save her fron them."

But the question remains, who are "them" here?

Are my tribesmen with them? Did my father also took Fawna with him to them?

What does 'they' want to do with her?

I hurriedly stood up as I prepares myself to follow my father's faint smell so that I could track him... but before I could take two steps, I felt some wetness under my feet.

And just when I removed my feet to see what was it, I saw... I saw...

Blood!

Fresh dark blood!

Not onlt under my feet... but scattered almost everywhere near where I was standing...