Bad Day

TK was having a bad day. He just drove home from a shift, which had ended with a particularly rough call. He'd been feeling grief once again for his mother as the wedding got closer. He was just feeling overwhelmed and emotional and wanted Carlos.

He sat in his car for a few minutes to collect himself, taking a few deep breaths even though he could feel tears under the surface.

He went inside and set his stuff down. "Carlos?"

No answer.

"Babe, I'm home." He called again, looking around and finding that Carlos wasn't there. Sighing disappointedly, he went to the kitchen. He hadn't eaten much on shift and, despite having no appetite now, his stomach was growling loudly.

He haphazardly tossed some fries into the air fryer and pressed start before going to the bedroom. He took a deep breath and ran his fingers through his hair, looking at himself in the mirror. He didn't look good. He didn't feel good. He felt upset and emotional and sad and overwhelmed.

He took his time changing into a pair of joggers and one of Carlos' APD shirts, washing his face, and once again zoning out staring into the mirror.

A burning smell from the kitchen brought him back to reality and he hurried to turn the air fryer off. When he pulled the basket of fries out and saw them all burned, he broke. It was the last straw.

Tears started to blur his vision as he set the basket on the counter. The tears grew into sobs and he fell to his knees. He couldn't control his emotions anymore; grieving his mom again, the call he ended his shift with, feeling emotional and then burning his fries had sent him spiraling.

He sat on the floor sobbing in pain for nearly 15 minutes before he felt someone touch him.

Carlos had been at his parents' house and thought he'd get home around the same time as TK. When he got to their door, he could smell burning food and hear TK crying.

He rushed to open the door and found his fiancé on the kitchen floor breaking down. TK hadn't even heard him come in.

Carlos knelt beside him and laid a hand against his back, testing whether he wanted to be touch or not. TK flinched at the touch before turning to see Carlos.

His face, red and soaked with tears, about broke Carlos' heart.

"What happened, baby?" Carlos asked, his other hand resting against TK's wet cheek.

TK shook his head and buried himself in Carlos' chest, beginning to sob impossibly harder.

Carlos wrapped his arms around him and held him close, rocking them back and forth as he did his best to comfort him.

After another twenty minutes, TK's sobs reduced to sniffles and uneven breaths. Carlos rubbed his back, glad he seemed to be calming down.

"You ready to talk?" Carlos asked softly. TK sat up and wiped his face with his hands.

"It's just-the kids didn't-they make it and she-my mom won't be there and I-I'm a mess and I burned my fries and-and everything's wrong!" He started to cry again.

Carlos tried to piece everything together but came up lost. He placed his hands on TK's cheeks, wiping away the new tears. "Slow down, cariño. What kids didn't make it?"

"On the call. They-two brothers in a-a fire and the older one laid over the younger one to-to protect him but neither one made it. They couldn't have-have been any older than 9." He sniffled, leaning into Carlos' touch.

"I'm sorry. I can't imagine how hard that was to see." He sympathized as TK sought solace against his shoulder.

"And my mom won't be at the wedding and I-I just feel like I'm grieving her all over again lately. I'm just, ugh, I don't know, I'm emotional and-and I burned my fries!" He started to cry once again, the tears seeming to come from an endless supply.

"Oh honey." He kissed his temple, letting him cry against his shoulder a while longer.

"Today's just not good." He cried softly.

"I know, I'm sorry. What can I do to help comfort you? Do you want to turn on a movie or go lay down together or build a pillow fort? You name it."

"Can we lay in bed and binge-watch Brooklyn Nine Nine?" He sniffled, naming one of his comfort shows.

"Of course. Can I make you new fries first?"

"No, those were all we had."

Carlos frowned. "Okay, how about something else? I'll make you anything you want."

TK thought about it before softly deciding. "Waffles?"

"Of course." He kissed his head again before standing up with TK wrapped around him. He made the food while TK clung to him.

When he finished, he carried TK and two plates of waffles to their room. After eating, TK leaned his forehead against Carlos' forehead. "Thank you for being here for me."

"Baby, that's my job."