Playing In The Rain

"I'm home! Man, it is pouring out there." Grace called as she walked into the house and set her stuff down. She didn't hear a response from either Judd or Charlie. "Judd?" She spoke again, beginning to look around their house.

He couldn't have gone anywhere; his truck was still out front. Then she saw them: both Judd and Charlie were in the backyard, splashing in puddles, covered head to toe in mud.

"What is going on here?" She asked as she opened the back door, unable to help contain the smile on her face.

Judd smiled deviously before whispering to their daughter. Charlie took off running towards Grace with her arms extended for a hug.

"No, ma'am! No way!" She laughed, closing and locking the door. "Keep your filth to yourself!"

Charlie giggled, knocking on the door repeatedly. Judd picked her up and tried the handle.

"Gracie, you gotta let us in sometime." He smiled at her through the glass.

"Oh no sir, I really don't. Not like that." Her hands rested on her hips. "You two are gonna catch cold."

"What's a childhood without playing in the rain?" Judd defended their actions, looking to Charlie for backup. "You had fun playing in the rain with Daddy, didn't you?"

"Lots fun." She confirmed, nodding at Judd before looking at Grace through the glass and nodding again.

Grace laughed and shook her head. "Well I'm glad. But you two are not coming in my house like that."

"What do you reckon we do then?"

She looked them up and down and raised her eyebrows. "You're stripping those clothes off before you come in here. And then it's straight to the shower."

"You want me to strip naked outside? Ain't that public indecency or something?" Judd raised his own eyebrows, exchanging looks of disbelief with Charlie.

"Leave your underwear on, I'm sure they're fine. Well, I hope they're fine." She teased. "I'll go get a laundry basket for your clothes."

Judd sighed as Grace walked away from the door. "Well, it was fun while it lasted." He said before starting to take Charlie's mud-soaked clothes off and dropping them on the ground.

Grace returned with a basket and opening the door. "I'll take the baby, you take the basket. Get those clothes off before coming in, I'm serious." 

Judd laughed as Grace set the basket by his feet and took Charlie from him. He tossed Charlie's clothes into the basket before taking off his shirt, boots, socks, and jeans and adding them to the basket as well.

"Am I welcome inside now?"

Grace pretended to consider the request before opening the door and pulling him inside. "You go get these clothes in the wash and take a shower, I'll get her cleaned up."

"You don't want a hug first?" He teased, stepping closer.

"Oh, don't you dare." She stepped back, the mud still on his face and rainwater having soaked him to the bone.

"Give your husband a hug." He smiled deviously again, getting closer.

"Judson Ryder, I'm so serious!" She ran from him laughing, Charlie giggling in her arms.

Judd caught up to her and pulled her into his arms, laughing as the water still on him got her clothes wet.

"Your daddy's nothing but trouble, you know that?" Grace talked to Charlie in her arms.

"Trouble!" She pointed at Judd and laughed.

"I just love you, darling." He smiled, kissing Grace before letting go of her.

"Yeah, I love you too. Go clean up." She laughed, giving him a push before taking Charlie to the bathroom.

After getting the toddler cleaned up and in pajamas, Grace went to the kitchen to see Judd starting dinner. He was in sweatpants and a tshirt now and the washer was running with the load of muddy clothes.

"I don't mind hugging you now." She set Charlie down before wrapping her arms around Judd from behind.

Judd set down the spatula he had been using to stir the food before turning around and hugging her close. "How was your day?"

"Coming home to you dirty little rascals made it a lot better, I'll tell you that." She laughed, laying her head against his chest. "Thanks for making dinner. What're we having?"

"Chicken stir fry." He kissed her head before letting her go so he could turn his attention back to the stove.

"Mmm, you're the best." She started to get dishes out to set the table.

"I'd do anything for you, girl." He winked at her, eliciting a smile he didn't realize how much she needed after a long shift.