print("Twenty")

Lena

I blew out a breath and lay down on the chair. Everyone is typing, setting up tubes and needles or telling me what's going on.

"We're going to hook you up to the program that will let you transfer your consciousness to the Phantasm," said Paris. "Your mind is already used to being in the Phantasm for all those years, so this program will trick your mind into thinking you're back in it."

"Won't I forget what I'm there for, then?" I asked.

Raven answered me. "The program is specifically designed so you'll remember your purpose and everything that happened in the real world."

I nodded.

John rapidly clicked buttons and typed on the computer. "You won't be able to communicate with us, but we can read the code of the Phantasm. If you want out, make some kind of motion so we know to take you out of the program. You'll have several weapons with you for safety and convenience."

"Just remember to get to the remaining vials and insert one into Arya's brain. We can't get her out without it," Summer added.

"Right," I said. Then I mutter, "No pressure."

Summer strapped both of my arms and legs to the hospital bed, then taped a wire to the back of my head. I do my best to relax, and wait.

Raven dipped her head to my ear. "Good luck," she whispered. I inclined my head.

"Alrighty," said John. "Entering the Phantasm in three...two...o-"

My head sagged, and I'm falling down, down into a current, a wave. I'm a droplet of water, streaming down a leaf and lightly touching the surface of the ocean. I'm absorbed, united, engulfed in the sea of people, and something...something else...

Connected to Server 4A.

Yelena Alton has joined.

Yelena Alton sighs.

Yelena Alton says...

"I'm back here again, huh?"

Yelena Alton looks at their hands.

Yelena Alton says...

"To think that everything I ever did was just for me to wake up and find out that none of it mattered."

Yelena Alton fingers their belt, which holds a pocket knife and two pistols.

Yelena Alton's head jerks up.

Yelena Alton says...

"I gotta find Ari."

Yelena Alton searches around for a cab, raises their hand and hops in one.

Yelena Alton says...

"Virtuocity headquarters, please. And hurry."

Symbiont 658 turns from the driver's seat to look at Yelena Alton and pulls out a gun.

Symbiont 658 says...

"You're not going anywhere."

Yelena Alton says...

"What in the-"

Symbiont 658 says...

"So you're the infamous Yelena Alton. Pleased to meet you again."

Yelena Alton and Symbiont 658 stare at each other.

Symbiont 658 says...

"Alright. You choose, the easy way or the hard way?"

Yelena Alton stays silent.

Symbiont 658 shoots at Yelena Alton.

Yelena Alton dodges the bullet and pulls the car door latch. It doesn't open.

Symbiont 658 shoots five bullets at Yelena Alton. One zips past their shoulder. Yelena Alton lets out a cry. Their jacket tears and their wound is exposed.

Yelena Alton takes a shallow breath.

Yelena Alton says...

"What the hell are you?"

Symbiont 658 shoots more bullets, eventually leading to an empty gun. The gun clicks, and Symbiont 658 throws the gun away.

Yelena Alton reaches for their gun.

end

End