{Masking Happiness}

America stood in front of his parents with his head down and refusing to look at them, embarrassment and fear stuck within him. They had been quickly released from custody, the police loved them, and now they were standing face-to-face with America after he tried to grab his younger sisters' toys so they wouldn't be without them.

They were yelling. That's what they were always doing. Always yelling at him. Only they weren't beating him, only yelling and screaming. He was holding New Zealand's plush kiwi and Australia's plush kangaroo tight in his hands, holding back from hurling them at their faces.

Yet here he was, seemingly as if nothing had ever changed.

"IF MY DAUGHTERS ARE NOT BACK HOME IN TWENTY-FOUR HOURS, THE POLICE WILL ARREST YOU FOR KIDNAPPING," France screamed, throwing an apple at America, striking him in the head. "I DO NOT CARE IF YOUR FAGGOT ASS STAYS WITH THAT FAGGOT BOYFRIEND OF YOURS, MY DAUGHTERS WILL NOT BE SUBJECTED TO YOUR SATANIC ABUSE!"

America was fighting tears, feeling warmth swell a bit on his head. She broke a stitch, that's for sure. America only nodded and quickly left, rushing himself back to Ukraine's car which was just down the street. Once he got there, he placed a backpack and the two plush animals in the back before taking the shotgun seat, facing Ukraine.

"They're home, hmm?" she asked, a worried look on her face. "You know, you broke some stitches."

"Yeah, I'll be fine, I just want Russia."

"What did they say," Ukraine asked, driving away.

"I have 24 hours to give my sisters back up to them or I'm being arrested for kidnapping. They don't want me back, they called me names."

The rest of the rise was quiet as Ukraine was unable to find something to say in return, having nothing but sympathy for America. She did grab a few napkins she had lying around and gave it to America, him holding it up to his now bleeding head. When they returned to her house, Ukraine guided America inside before seating him on the couch, yelling for her dad.

   "They broke a few stitches!"

   "Who broke a few stitches?"

   Now Russia, Canada, and Soviet were all surrounding America with Ukraine, trying to get words out of America over what happened. America couldn't speak, however, only contemplating his few options. They never abused Canada, only him. They never touched any of their daughters, only him. America rested his head on Russia's arm, a small smile forming on his face.

   "They want my sisters back, that's all. They said I can stay but not them. Can you believe that, Russ? They never wanted me."

"They'll most likely press charges and America will not last a single minute in a jail," Canada muttered, pressing a damp cloth to America head. "I can't have my brother go to jail or my little sisters go back."

"None of us can. We're packing everything we need and leaving before the authorities can find us," Soviet announced. "This way, they'll never be able to take you three and I'll stay here to fight the charges."

"Папа, do you really want to do that?" Russia asked, rubbing America's shoulder.

"It's the only option there is."

Time passed on and now America was in a whole new city, laying on Russia whilst the two cuddled on a hotel bed. They were to go to Russia's grandfather's house in an even further city but had to stop here for the night. It was strange as only America and Russia lie away, all the girls fast asleep. They stayed silent as Russia massaged America's back and occasionally kissed his forehead in hopes to reassure him. It never worked, America always had problems with anxiety.