Chicks are Not Only Cute

At the same time that Hiromichi was in the dark about the beriberi problem, Yōko was also busy (in her own childish way) working on polyamide-related projects. While Yōko, with the support of Jōkichi Takamine, Korekiyo Takahashi, and others, was applying for patents around the world (Paris Route), tests were being conducted at Tokyo Imperial University on the physical properties of a new substance, PA66, that had been synthesized. As a result, it was confirmed that PA66 had "about twice the stiffness and strength of rayon," which caused a great deal of excitement in various fields.

"My goodness... textiles are going to radically change the way we think!"

"And the industrial structure! Sericulture will be destroyed!"

"The cotton industries of the great powers will take a huge hit."

"With such performance, it might even improve the durability of military equipment."

Thus, the government recognized PA66 as an important substance that would fundamentally overturn the structure of society and established a semi-private company to produce and sell PA66 in order to work on its production and practical application as soon as possible.

"Why am I here?"

"What are you talking about? The person who has done the most to make this happen is the inventor and patentee, Yōko-san."

As Yōko looked at the people attending the meeting with an absent-minded look on her face, Jōkichi Takamine, who was sitting next to her, chided her amusedly.

"I'm a little girl, I'm almost five years old..."

"You will be fine, Yōko-san. And since your father is adamant about becoming an advisor, there is no one better suited than you to the job."

Yōko was currently attending a meeting to establish a new company. She will hold the position of special advisor to the company and will be in charge of advising "various places." As Yōko said, this is not a position that should be left to a young girl, and at first Hiromichi was approached about it.

"He was busy with his military duties."

"My daughter, who is an inventor, is better suited for the job."

Yōko was offered the position. She herself did not expect to be able to expand her influence in Japan from such a young age, and she was delighted with her new position, but at the same time, she felt like she was being given an underserved honor, which was a bit creepy.

"Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to join us today. My name is Takahashi, Deputy Governor of the Bank of Japan, and I will be chairing this meeting. I request your attention."

With an opening sentence from Korekiyo Takahashi as a cue, the meeting to establish the new company began.

. . .

The discussion proceeded briskly.

"I agree that PA66 is a revolutionary fiber, but do you have a clear idea of how it will be used?"

"The government hopes to use it in military uniforms and other military fabric products."

"Stockings! I think stockings are the way to go!"

"What about factories? Are you going to build it from scratch?"

"There is a collapsed silk mill in Yamagata Prefecture's Yonezawa. It would be a good idea to buy that place and rebuild."

"What about the scope of the project, will it only manufacture PA66 fiber?"

"We think that would be fine at first, but in the future we should consider not only manufacturing raw materials but also finished products and expanding into completely different fields."

After all these decisions had been made, it was time to move on to the last item on the agenda.

"We will now decide on the name of this new company... Do you have any ideas, Takatsukasa-san?"

"Eh...? Well, how about Teikoku Jinzō Sen'i (Imperial Artificial Fiber), or 'Teijin' for short, ahaha..."

Yōko, not expecting to be accepted, answered with a name on the spur of the moment. Of course, the name is a pun on Teijin Limited, an artificial silk producer that has not yet been established in this era.

"I like it. Any objections?"

"""No objections."""

"Then it is unanimously agreed that the new company shall be called Teikoku Jinzō Sen'i Co., Ltd..."

"Huh, wait, are you sure that's what you want!?"

Yōko, not expecting it to be accepted, quickly interrupted them. She felt bad for the future founders of Teijin.

"I don't mind. Teikoku Jinzō Sen'i. I can't think of a company name that describes this company better than that."

"Yes, it is a bit mouthful, but it has a nice sound, and since you have even thought of an abbreviation, I see no reason to object."

Naokichi Kaneko and Takamine of Suzuki Shōten replied.

"However, it is said that a name represents the body. I don't think a child like me should be allowed to name something important like that..."

"Here's the thing, little girl."

Yōko was still refuting the idea, but Kaneko spoke to her.

"All of us here today can agree that what is good is good, no matter what anyone else says. If they say it's good, it's good. Have a little more confidence. Okay, miss special advisor?"

"...Alright. Thank you very much for your compliments."

Persuaded by Kaneko, Yōko decided to give in, feeling sorry for the strange Teijin founder in her heart.

. . .

In fact, the OTL Teijin was founded by Kaneko and was based at the site of the Yonezawa Silk Mill, which was reborn as the Teikoku Jinzō Sen'i. In 1908, the founders of Teijin, Itsuzō Hata and Seita Kumura, graduated from the University of Tokyo and joined Teijin, thus Teikoku Jinzō Sen'i became the Teikoku Jinzō Kenshi in both name and reality. However, Yōko was unaware of Teijin's history and was therefore unaware of this fact for the rest of her life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thus, Teijin was established 10 years ahead of the OTL. At first, they tried to find a company that would buy the rights to Nylon 66, but they could not find it anywhere in Japan at this time.

- Toshitsugu Utei