European Area Army

I understand that Joffre's title of marshal and Tsarong's position are somewhat unclear, but please accept that this has become the way things are in this world.

- Toshitsugu Utei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since Japan's participation in World War I, the Navy rapidly dispatched its forces to Europe. However, the army was busy suppressing German bases scattered across Asia, and it wasn't until 1915 that they responded to Britain's call for troops. The major organizational structure was as follows:

European Area Army (Field Marshal Yasukata Oku)

1st Army (General Kikuzō Ōtani)

- 1st Motorized Division (Lieutenant General Yoshifuru Akiyama)

- 1st Infantry Division (Lieutenant General Hyōe Ichinohe)

2nd Army (General Naomichi Ōsako)

- 2nd Motorized Division (Lieutenant General Michizumi Honda)

- 6th Infantry Division (Lieutenant General Michiharu Umezawa)

1st Aviation Battalion (Lieutenant Colonel Takaichi Arikawa) (Squadron Leader: Major Yoshitoshi Tokugawa)

Independent Tibetan Battalion (General Tsarong Dzasa)

Japan had taken some time to prepare for this, and they were met with great enthusiasm by the British and the French. Particularly, the Type 3 assault vehicle used by the 1st and 2nd Motorized Divisions was considered the world's first infantry combat vehicle and was highly anticipated as a secret weapon to break through the stagnant frontlines.

Osaka Artillery Arsenal Type 3 assault vehicle

- Length : 4,8 m

- Width : 1,9 m

- Height : 2,5 m

- Weight : 12 tons

- Crew : 3 (driver, radio operator, chief gunner/loader) + 8 soldiers

- Primary armament : Vickers QF 2-pounder

- Armor :

-- Main gun front : 13 mm

-- Main gun sides : 13 mm

-- Main gun roof : 7 mm

-- Main gun rear : 7 mm

-- Front of the vehicle

--- Upper : 7 mm 20°

--- Lower : 13 mm 60°

-- Sides : 13 mm 90°

-- Rear : 7 mm 90°

-- Top : 7 mm

-- Underbody : Unarmored

- Engine : 2 × Teijin A040A (detuned) 2-stroke forced scavenging, forced induction, horizontally opposed 4-cylinder

-        Engine                        : 2 × Teijin A040A (detuned) 2-stroke forced scavenging, forced induction, horizontally opposed 4-cylinder

- Maximum speed : 40 km/h

Another noteworthy point is the presence of a battalion of infantry dispatched from Tibet under the command of the European Area Army. This battalion was a result of the Commander-in-Chief of the Tibetan Army, Tsarong Dzasa, who was dedicated to modernizing Tibet, persuading the Japanese to allow them to join. It was led by General Tsarong himself, who was keen to experience the latest European battlefields and consisted of the finest soldiers in the Tibetan army. While their equipment was Japanese surplus, they had gained experience from the Tibetan independence conflict that arose during the Xinhai Revolution in 1912. They also viewed with rivalry the neighboring Nepalese people who were highly regarded by the British as "Gurkha soldiers." This competition boosted their morale, making them highly motivated.

. . .

"...that concludes is the operation proposed by our army."

"Field Marshal, the new weapons you've brought are indeed astounding, but can this really be done?"

Having received an explanation of the operation proposed by the Japanese military from General Ōsako, the Field Marshal French responded to Field Marshal Oku with a skeptical expression.

"With the breakthrough power and invasion speed of our mobile infantry divisions, it is possible," wrote Field Marshal Oku on paper. He communicated through writing because of his hearing impairment.

The Japanese military's plan involved the 1st Army launching an offensive from Châlons-en-Champagne, and the 2nd Army from Auxerre. Both would advance about 80 kilometers to breach the front lines and encircle the main German forces stationed at the outskirts of Paris. The vanguard would be handled by the 1st and 2nd Motorized Divisions, and they would use Type 4 transport vehicles and locally requisitioned taxis to send successive infantry units into the breaches they created.

"This is not the place for you to showcase your fantasies, but have you lost your mind, not just your hearing?"

In response, the French Army's Supreme Commander, Marshal Joseph Joffre, expressed his doubts in contempt. He had attempted several attacks on the German Army after they had stopped their offensive, but all had failed. He looked down on the Asians from the Far East, who had been isolationist until recently, and even though he had been taught "know-how from the Japanese Army" by the British, he hadn't changed his opinion.

"The Type 3 assault vehicle can reach speeds ten times that of infantry. Naturally, there will be enemy interference, but if it's around 80 kilometers, it should be possible to cover it in a day."

"That's the idea, Marshal Joffre. I'm not saying I trust it completely, but at the very least, this operational plan is far better thought out than what you bring to the table. Or do you have a plan that can deal a more significant blow to the German Army?"

In response to Field Marshal Oku's rebuttal, the Field Marshal French fired a supporting shot. Joffre scowled openly but couldn't come up with a response.

And so, the implementation of Operation Takasago, a campaign aimed at destroying the main German forces with the Japanese military at its core, was decided. The fierce battles of the Japanese Army in Europe were about to begin.