WORLD WAR I | If There Is Honor to Be Saved, There Is Honor to Be Lost

A new arc, World War I arc.

- Toshitsugu Utei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Russo-Japanese War was truly an army's war.

In the field, the enemy forces were constantly annihilated, and even the impregnable fortress of Port Arthur, which had been hailed as invincible, fell due to Japan's strategic victory. It was a time when there seemed to be no equal to Japan, with stars like "Fighting General" General Oku, "Holy General" General Nogi, "God of Infantry" Major General Ōtani, and "God of Strategy" Major General Ijichi emerging, monopolizing the admiration of the nation.

On the other hand, the Navy suffered greatly.

The Port Arthur fleet escaped, the Vladivostok fleet sank the transport ships carrying the army, and the Baltic fleet, which had prepared to make a desperate attempt, never reached Japan before the end of the war. Consequently, even Admiral Heihachirō Tōgō, who in the original timeline was referred to as the "Nelson of the East," was not as famous in this world. Moreover, Vice Admiral Kamimura Hikonojō, who reported losing the Vladivostok fleet in dense fog, was ridiculed by members of the Diet, as sad as it is to say (just like in OTL).

In every major power, there was often a rivalry between the army and navy that undermined national interests. However, during this period in Japan, ironically, the power struggle ended with the clear superiority of the Army over the Navy. As a result, the Army received a more generous budget than in OTL, leading to the creation of various renowned weapons, as will be mentioned later. On the other hand, the Navy's budget was reduced, and its doctrine shifted from the conventional "win by fleet engagement" to a focus on "safely transporting the Army to the battlefield," which could be seen as either prioritizing safeguarding sea lanes or lacking enthusiasm for combat.

"Thanks to that, the Navy is now more focused on sea lanes... on trade routes. Do you think we should be happy about that, Father?"

"At least, I don't think there's anyone in the Navy who's happy about it."

In Hiromichi's study, Yōko had been summarizing the impact of the Russo-Japanese War and its consequences for several days.

"Even they, deep down, probably want to engage the enemy gloriously and annihilate them. They might publicly support the Army and take a backseat role, but they undoubtedly want to achieve great victories someday and one-up the Army."

"They're doing the opposite of 'what you like you will do well,' aren't they...? In that case, the Navy may become a force that can't contribute to decisive battles, with subpar escort capabilities, unable to be anything significant."

For example, there were plenty of destroyers, but their armament consisted mainly of torpedoes and direct-fire guns, with poor anti-submarine and anti-air capabilities, creating a fleet with significant limitations.

"That's possible. And the Army, being the Army, will become more arrogant and may threaten the Navy's jurisdiction... It's a bit much for us, the old second-year graduates of the Army Academy (we are), but honestly, it's a waste of time to deal with such things..."

Hiromichi and Yōko, his thoughtful daughter, closed their eyes in contemplation. While the wise youngest daughter had come from a different time and dimension, her every move and gesture were strikingly similar to her beloved father in this world. Depending on how you looked at it, it could be heartwarming or, in a less flattering light, reminiscent of a father.

"For now, let's start by adding Navy-specific products to Teijin's line and try to exert some influence on the Navy."

"That should be a good idea. For the Navy... how about hammocks, for example?"

"PA66 won't work for that... it's weak to saltwater."

"Oh, I see, so that's its flaw."

One of the weaknesses of PA66 is its "high water absorption rate." It may seem surprising, but plastics tend to absorb water to some extent. And the more water they absorb, the lower their glass transition temperature (Tg, similar to the melting point) becomes, resulting in a decrease in elasticity and strength. In her previous life, Yōko had experienced significant difficulties due to this. When water contains salts like table salt or de-icing agents, the situation worsens further. These salts penetrate the resin along with water, causing deterioration. Using PA66, which is sensitive to saltwater, in ships exposed to saltwater on a daily basis proved to be challenging.

"That's why we need to develop a different resin material that is resistant to saltwater."

"It seems like it might take some time..."

"Even so, it must be done."

With determined eyes, Yōko looked at Hiromichi.

"Don't neglect your studies either. If I remember correctly, in your history, right around the time you graduate from high school, the Imperial University in Sendai will start admitting women, won't it? If you can't pass the entrance exam there, the employees at Teijin won't trust you."

Tōhoku Imperial University was established in 1907 by Imperial Decree and opened its doors in 1911. It prioritized research from the beginning, and though it had the necessary academic strength, it faced a shortage of students in the economically lagging Tōhoku region. As a desperate measure, they decided to allow women to take the entrance exams, and in 1913, three female candidates were admitted. The science education at high schools that only aimed to educate good wives and wise mothers was, according to Yōko, "unthinkable" in terms of pursuing a serious research career in this era. To enter Tōhoku Imperial University was essential.

"I'll do my best. Father, you led the Russo-Japanese War to victory in my place when I was just a child. Now it's my turn to give it my all."

The young phoenix responded with determination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thus, the fortunes of the Japanese Army and Navy diverged significantly. For a while, Japan found itself in a situation where, despite being an island nation, the relationship between the Army and Navy resembled that of a continental power. Yōko, while working towards her goal of graduating from Tōhoku University, also dedicated herself to the development of several new materials. Even though she delegated experiments to Teijin employees, her busyness was akin to that of a workaholic.

January 16: It seems that Yōko's concerns are not being effectively conveyed, so I will add more detail.

- Toshitsugu Utei