William Taft's Mysterious Dead Lion

We are no longer the ruler of China, but we were able to retain Manchuria, so there is no problem (insert BGM).

- Toshitsugu Utei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 1912

The Xinhai Revolution ended a little earlier than it did in OTL, and the Republic of China was established. However, the Qing Dynasty still held onto Manchuria, and Xuantong Emperor (Puyi) had not abdicated. This was because the United States, which had interests in Manchuria, intervened in the Xinhai Revolution.

. . .

Since the Treaty of Portsmouth in 1905, the United States had been actively investing in Manchuria, which was considered a new untapped frontier, in an effort to catch up with its expansion into China. They not only gained direct interest in railways but also extended their reach into the development of the surrounding regions within Qing territory. This rapid development was also fueled by the preferential treatment that the Qing had given to Manchuria, their native homeland.

"Hey, I heard you've been making a profit lately?"

"Yeah, ever since the Americans came to Manchuria, we've been getting more orders for machine parts."

Japan was also benefiting from this situation. Particularly, northern Kyushu and the San'in region were thriving due to the influx of orders from the United States for Manchuria.

"When you consider the shipping costs, it's cheaper to make things here in Japan, right?"

"That's right, and the goods made here are unloaded at the Japanese-controlled Port Arthur. I heard the government is making a fortune in port fees."

"When I first heard about the terms of peace with Russia and wondered why they were giving Manchuria to the Americans who had nothing to do with it, I was surprised, but they had it all planned out. Pretty impressive."

At that time, the anti-Japanese sentiment was gaining momentum in the US, as Japanese immigrants were perceived to be unfairly taking jobs due to their willingness to work for lower wages. However, within Japan and the nearby regions of Manchuria and the Liaodong Peninsula, the economy was thriving, reducing the need for Japanese immigrants to go to America. While the Yellow Peril theory had gained more prominence than in actual history due to Japan's victory over Russia and the development of nylon by Teijin, the American government, not wanting to upset Japan, which controlled Port Arthur, took a non-cooperative stance toward the anti-Japanese movement.

"Nevertheless, if we were to confront Japan as it stands, Manchuria would dry up quickly."

"It's not just Japan. If Russia rebuilds its domestic situation, there's a possibility they'll come rushing back into Manchuria."

"We should start thinking about defense strategies now."

Thus, the plan for the war against Japan, known as the War Plan Orange, was created, following the course of OTL. However, the emphasis in this plan was significantly different from the first version in actual history, focusing on how to defend Manchuria. In such a situation, Manchuria had as many as two divisions stationed there for the security of the Manchurian Railway and its associated territories. While European powers expressed concerns about this, the United States dismissed them, citing the immense length of the Manchurian Railway and the lack of depth in its associated territories as reasons.

. . .

In the midst of these events, the Xinhai Revolution erupted. The American response was swift, as they promptly deployed troops to Manchuria, preventing the spread of the revolution into Manchuria and mediating peace between the Qing Dynasty and the Republic of China.

"Even though the revolution was on the verge of success...!"

Sun Yat-sen gritted his teeth, but there was nothing he could do. It was imperative to avoid a repeat of the Boxer Rebellion. Thus, as mentioned earlier, Qing survived as a regional government within China and effectively walked the path of becoming a puppet state of the United States. Due to this influence, the United States rapidly expanded its influence in China, leading to tensions with European powers, and Japan found itself in a difficult balancing act between Britain and the United States.

. . .

Furthermore, during this time, in order to counter the United States, Britain supported the 13th Dalai Lama, who had taken refuge in India, and helped establish independence in the entire Tibetan region, maintaining influence there. Japan also seized this opportunity and supplied a large number of Type 30 rifles, Type 30 mountain guns, and their ammunition, even dispatching military advisors. As a result, the Tibetan army expanded its territory not only in central Tibet, as in actual history, but also extended its reach into the Tsaidam Basin in Qinghai Province. Through this connection, Japan and Britain were able to forge a friendly relationship with Tibet beyond what was seen in OTL. They welcomed Tibetan military officers for study in their countries and regularly dispatched divisions to Tibet to learn mountain warfare tactics, establishing a deeper relationship than in reality.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He intervened in the independence of Tibet, and gained the Tsaidam Basin. Akashi-sensei is really awesome. Now it is still an event that ends with "Hmm..."

- Toshitsugu Utei