Interlude: His Majesty Is Kinda Pissed

Funnily enough, Ludendorff and Burgdorf sound similar.

- Toshitsugu Utei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In October 1914, during the German Empire's Reichstag meeting, Chief of the General Staff Erich von Falkenhayn was explaining the situation on the Eastern Front to Kaiser Wilhelm II, the ruler of Germany.

"The enemy has successfully breached our defensive lines over a wide area. In the south, they have captured Lublin and are advancing towards Oppeln. They are also launching an offensive between Elbing and Königsberg, and in the east, they have reached the line of Schneidemühl and Posen."

The Russians had gained control of more than half of East and West Prussia, and they were launching offensives even in Silesia, invading deep into German territory. In response to this situation, Wilhelm II remarked, "If Boroević launches an attack from Slovakia, everything will be all right."

Svetozar Boroević was the commander of the Austro-Hungarian 3rd Army. He had been skillfully handling the Russian offensive in Slovakia, and it was clear that an attack from his direction would be a severe blow to the Russian forces.

"Your Majesty... Boroević..."

"Boroević no longer has enough force for a counterattack. His attempts have been thwarted by the Russians."

As Falkenhayn struggled to explain, Hindenburg informed him of Boroević's failed attack. In reality, Boroević hadn't even launched an attack, but it was clear to the German army that relying on Austrian-Hungarian support was not an option from the beginning. However, the Kaiser seemed to have a different perspective.

"The following names are to remain in this room: Hoffmann, Falkenhayn, Hindenburg, and Ludendorff."

As the enraged Kaiser announced this, those who were not named quickly left the room.

"THAT WAS AN ORDER! The Austrians' attack was an order!" Wilhelm II shouted, pounding his fist on the table. "How dare you ignore my orders!? Is this what it has come to...? The military has been lying to me, even the General Staff! The generals are no more than a bunch of disloyal cowards!"

Ludendorff admonished the frenzied Kaiser. "I can't permit you to insult the soldiers who are shedding blood for Your Majesty—"

"Cowards, traitors, and incompetents!"

However, the Kaiser continued to berate the generals. This angered Ludendorff as well.

"Your Majesty, this is outrageous!"

But the furious Wilhelm II paid no heed.

"The generals are the scum of the Imperial subjects, no sense of honor!"

The Kaiser slammed a pencil down on the desk.

"You call yourself general because you spent years at the academy where you only learned to use a knife and fork. For years, the military and subjects obstructed me. All you ever did is thwart me! I should have had all the aristocrats purged, as Stolypin did!"

Wilhelm II's verbal abuse extended beyond just the military, targeting all members of the government. In fact, he frequently clashed with his own advisors and dismissed numerous prime ministers. Considering this, it was clear that the military had been trying to accommodate Wilhelm II's wishes all along. That was precisely why he could not forgive the army for the failure of the Schlieffen-Moltke Plan and the significant losses on the Eastern Front.

"Gerda, please calm down."

Outside the door, Kaiserin Auguste Viktoria was consoling a lady-in-waiting who had burst into tears upon hearing Wilhelm II's tirade in the hallway. Most of those who were eavesdropping through the walls were just ordinary folks, and they were honestly fed up with all the commotion. However, they also understood that they themselves were the root cause of not being able to defeat France and Russia in the first place, so they felt guilty about leaving the four generals to be scolded by the Kaiser.

. . .

The later-known "Angry Kaiser Speech" during this meeting has become one of the frequently depicted scenes in movies centered around World War I in later years. Portraying Kaiser Wilhelm II, who fluctuated wildly in his emotions, was a difficult task, and it's said that for this particular scene, renowned veteran actors were sometimes cast to play the role of Wilhelm II.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I cut it because I thought it was not suitable from "und betrogen worden!" Please understand.

- Toshitsugu Utei