If You Desire the Dove, Cast the Wheat

On April 23, 1905, peace between Russia and Japan was finally concluded.

Due to the significant defeat of the Russian military, internal turmoil in Russia was even more intense than in historical records, and they had no choice but to proceed with peace without witnessing the defeat of the Baltic Fleet. The conditions of the treaty were as follows:

1. Japan would gain the protectorate rights over the Korean Empire.

2. Russia would cede its rights in the Liaodong Peninsula to Japan.

3. Russia would cede the entire island of Sakhalin to Japan.

4. Russia would pay compensation equivalent to 300 million yen in Japanese currency.

5. Russia would transfer its interests in Manchuria to the United States.

Notably, what stands out is that the United States, who was supposed to be the mediator, gained interests in Manchuria. Komura Jutarō, the Japanese plenipotentiary, stated:

"That territory is sandwiched between Japan's sphere of influence and Russia, and if it becomes the possession of either side, there will be another conflict. Therefore, I believe it should be managed by a third party, and conveniently enough, the United States, who mediated this peace agreement, is present. As compensation to the United States for mediating this peace agreement, I recommend that Russia transfer its interests in Manchuria to America."

It was a demand that clearly seemed to indicate some sort of backroom deal between Japan and the United States. President Theodore Roosevelt of the United States had been proclaiming:

"Japan is fighting for the sake of America."

Therefore, it was entirely possible for him to be enticed with the bait of Manchuria and align with Japan in a situation like this. And that was the worst scenario for Russia. If this peace conference fell through, there was a risk that the United States, citing the failure to secure their interests in Manchuria, would side with Japan and join the war. In such a case, even with the negotiating power of the Russian plenipotentiary, Sergei Witte, there would be no way to salvage the situation.

'You foolish Plehve! That's why I said a war with Japan would harm our national interests!'

Plehve was the Russian Minister of the Interior at the start of the Russo-Japanese War. He engaged in a power struggle with Witte, who was the Minister of Finance at the time, regarding the merits of the war between Japan and Russia. Plehve succeeded in overthrowing Witte, and as a result, he was later assassinated by the disillusioned masses unable to bear the burdens of the war. This led Russia to conclude a humiliating peace treaty.

. . .

"I'm home."

"Welcome back!"

Yōko embraced Hiromichi, who had returned home after a long time.

"Now, now, let's behave properly."

"But... I caused Father so much trouble..."

Yoko truly couldn't face Hiromichi. He had provided her with expensive chemicals and laboratory equipment, accepted her outrageous requests, and mobilized his connections based on her flawed ideas, leading Japan in this world to a clear victory.

"Let go of her, Yōko. You're making Father uncomfortable."

"We all want to show our appreciation to Father. Sneaking around is not good."

It was their eldest son, Nobusuke, and their second son, Nobuhiro. They, too, had stayed awake until late at night, waiting for their father's return.

"I guess there's no helping it. Nobusuke, Nobuhiro, come here as well."

"Oh, no, we don't need to—"

"Then, please hug Yōko with us. She's trembling."

"...Alright."

The two sons also embraced Yōko, who had started sobbing without them even noticing.

The little phoenix, who had acted bravely as a genius girl, performing acrobatics to avoid the fate of destruction, was nothing more than a nestling being warmed by its parent bird on this night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thus, we have come to the conclusion of the first part, the Russo-Japanese War Arc.

Thank you very much for accompanying me this far. I never expected such positive feedback for this novel that I impulsively started writing, and I am constantly amazed. Moving on to the next chapter, I don't believe there will be a significant gap. Japan, which concluded the Russo-Japanese War much more favorably than in the original timeline, still faces numerous concerns. How will Yōko, Teijin, Hiromichi, and their delightful companions overcome these challenges? I would be grateful if you could witness their endeavors.

- Toshitsugu Utei