Lost Property of the Sky

Holiday in 1911. Four men gathered at the Takatsukasa residence. At the invitation of Gaishi Nagaoka, the leader of the Aerial Reconnaissance Research Group, they had come together for what had come to be called the "Big Three of Infiltration Tactics" – Major General Hiromichi Takatsukasa, General Kikuzō Ōtani, and Lieutenant General Naomichi Ōsako.

"We apologize for convening like this, especially to Takatsukasa-kun, who graciously offered his residence."

"Oh no, please don't worry. Our house is accustomed to hosting guests."

"If I were still the principal of Toyama Academy, we could have used an empty classroom. I'm sorry."

"To have a general from the Army as the principal of Toyama Academy would be an underutilization of his talents. The position of Inspector General of Military Training would be more suitable."

Their achievements in the development of infiltration tactics had been recognized, and particularly for Hiromichi and Ōtani, there was a difference between their OTL roles and their current positions. Hiromichi had been promoted to the rank of major general earlier than in history and was not in the reserve, which meant he was still serving as a court military attaché. Ōtani had been promoted to the rank of general five years earlier than in history and had gone from being the head of the Inspectorate General of Military Training's headquarters directly to the position of Inspector General of Military Training.

"So... gathering us like this must be related to tactical matters, correct?"

With minimal formalities, Hiromichi urged Nagaoka to get to the point.

"Well, you see... Colonel Kumazō Hino, who was working on the Type 44 transport vehicle, has been clamoring that 'if we attach armor to this and load infantry, it can break through enemy positions without being affected by machine gun fire.' I want to know if it's feasible."

Nagaoka complained about Hino's tendency to lose all restraint when he came up with something. Since the incident with Ninomiya, it seemed that he had become unable to indiscriminately reject seemingly far-fetched ideas.

"I understand the sentiment, but it's not feasible. Armored vehicles cannot cross trenches."

"I understand that you want to do something about one of the war lessons from the Russo-Japanese War, which is 'infantry is slow.'"

"Even if we could create a transport vehicle that could cross trenches, if it advances too fast, artillery support won't arrive in time. Even if we can break through the front line, there won't be follow-up."

Hiromichi, Ōtani, and Ōsako each expressed their views.

"Then let me put it another way. If we could create transport vehicles that can cross trenches and artillery that can fire in sync with their advance, would that make them formidable?"

Nagaoka tried to convey the essence of Hino's idea and translate it for the three.

"If that could be achieved... it would be invincible, wouldn't it?"

"If something like that were to come at us, I'd have a hard time dealing with it."

"Having armor would make it difficult to stop their advance without anti-artillery fire. However, even if we could create such a system, the question remains whether we could effectively fire upon them if the target is rapidly moving before the artillery support request reaches the artillery units..."

"Indeed, there's value in pursuing this."

Nagaoka smiled at the responses of the three.

"In that case, we need to find a way to realize Hino-kun's idea."

"So, Takatsukasa-kun... would it be alright if we call your daughter, Yōko-san?"

"Yōko, huh... She might come up with something, that's for sure."

"But is it really okay? We're discussing military matters quite openly here..." Ōtani asked with concern.

"She's been running her own company for six years now. She knows how to handle confidential information."

"Besides, she and I are acquaintances. Through the Aerial Reconnaissance Research Group, we've had her work on prototype aircraft using some new material called GFRP. If anyone can come up with something, it might be her. That's why I asked Takatsukasa-kun if we could use his residence."

"Actually, when I'm stuck on something, I often come up with solutions when I think it over with Yōko."

With that remark, Hiromichi left the room to call Yōko.

. . .

"I have a solution," Yōko responded nonchalantly when she was brought to the scene where the four generals were having a meeting.

"You say it so easily, but have you really thought it through?"

"I've been thinking about it since I was designing the Tonbi. First, to deal with the rapid advance of infantry, we can use aerial artillery. If we make it possible for aircraft to drop shells, that problem can be solved."

"Using airplanes to drop artillery shells...? With the payload capacity of airplanes, won't it lack significant firepower?" Ōsako questioned Yōko's proposal.

"While the amount of projected iron will certainly decrease, I believe that air raids, unlike artillery fire, can achieve higher accuracy since they can drop directly from above. It depends on pilot training and our technological development, but I think we can achieve equivalent firepower."

"Hmm, will it really work out so conveniently...?" Ōsako continued to ponder.

Yōko was aware of the rapid advancement of aviation technology that would occur in the future, but it was understandably unimaginable to Ōsako, who had not been reborn from the future.

"Now, what about the transport vehicle that can cross trenches?" Nagaoka changed the topic, trying to hear ideas other than the "flying artillery."

"We'll use caterpillar tracks. Caterpillar tracks, well... it's a structure where a belt is wrapped around multiple wheels, allowing the vehicle to grip the terrain securely and run smoothly even on uneven ground. I came up with this idea, so I guess countries like England might have already put it into practical use."

In fact, at this time, the British had already attempted to use tracked vehicles as artillery tractors and eventually abandoned the idea. To avoid raising suspicions about the source of her information, Yōko gave a vague explanation.

"Flying artillery and caterpillar tracks, huh..."

"Well, take it easy and work on it. In Europe, it seems like England and Germany are engaged in a naval arms race, but as long as the balance between them doesn't tip, there won't be a war."

"Besides, we and Russia have shown firsthand how wars require immense resources."

'Yeah, but Europe isn't just England and Germany...'

While Yōko mentally criticized the generals' optimistic outlook, she refrained from making any comments that could lead to trouble. Mentioning the turbulent situation in the Balkans was something she decided to avoid.

"For now, let's have Yōko-san's company work on the 'flying artillery,' and as for the caterpillar tracks... Ōtani-kun, could you use your authority as a general to inquire with England?"

"I've only recently become a general, so I'm not sure if I can do that..."

"If it goes well, make sure to allocate development funds properly, Nagaoka-san."

. . .

A few days later, when Ōtani inquired with the British military about tracked vehicles, they demanded knowledge of infiltration tactics in exchange for information about tracked vehicles. Feeling that they were being quite forward, Ōtani initiated negotiations involving the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Agriculture and Commerce. As a result of these negotiations, they not only obtained information about tracked vehicles but also acquired several advanced scientific and technological developments that the United Kingdom was leading. In this way, the development of domestically produced close air support aircraft and armored personnel carriers was set in motion.