The Sea Eagle Has Yet to Leave Its Nest

I was looking at the members who participated in the Temporary Military Balloon Research Group for history and found just the right people, so I decided to come to Europe.

- Toshitsugu Utei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rear Admiral Kazuyoshi Yamaji, commander of the Expeditionary Air Fleet to Europe, along with Captain Shirō Yamanouchi, commander of the flagship Kurama, summarized the operation of seaplanes in the Battle of Norfolk.

"It is indeed urgent to develop the capability of aerial attacks against ships, especially in terms of torpedo capability..."

"We were able to solve the reconnaissance issue, which was an issue during the Russo-Japanese War, through the utilization of seaplanes. However, with seaplanes having limited payload capacity due to their increased weight, there is little they can do once a naval battle has commenced..."

Yamanouchi added regretfully to Yamaji's remark. At this time, the seaplanes operated by the Imperial Japanese Navy were the seaplane version of the Army's Type 3 attacker "Kinshi," known as the "Type 3 seaplane." This aircraft had a large hull almost equal in length to the entire aircraft, capable of accommodating three crew members serving as reconnaissance, communication, navigation, and pilot. However, unlike land-based planes, which could have their cockpit covered with lightweight polycarbonate and nylon sheets, seaplanes required sturdy hulls or floats to withstand the impacts of takeoff and landing on water, which significantly increased the weight of the aircraft compared to the Kinshi. Since the engine remained unchanged, the payload capacity was consequently reduced.

"With a combined payload of barely 300 kilograms on both wings, fitting two 8-inch shell converted bombs is the most we can manage. It's difficult to effectively strike enemy battleships with this, so we considered omitting the bombing capability and instead extending the endurance to improve reconnaissance capabilities."

"Judging from the patrol records of the Type 3 seaplane, it seemed like the best choice at that time. However, it appears that the crew members felt somewhat helpless just transmitting fleet positions while their allied ships were engaged in fierce combat."

Of course, there was also the option of receiving armor-piercing explosive bombs from the Army and dropping them onto cruisers. However, the firepower of the Chikuma-class protected cruisers was overwhelming, capable of swiftly destroying most cruisers of similar class, so this wasn't considered a very effective strategy either.

"Indeed, what we need is not seaplane tenders but aircraft carriers capable of operating land-based planes."

"And we also need aircraft capable of dropping torpedoes or large bombs to effectively strike enemy battleships."

Their proposals would eventually bear fruit in the form of the future aircraft carrier Hōshō and the Type 8 attack aircraft.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Therefore, the reason the Navy did not engage in anti-ship attacks with aircraft was not because they didn't think of it, but rather because they judged (based on their current available aircraft) that it was not feasible. With the realization that relying solely on surface ships would result in significant damage, from now on, they will also rely on the anti-ship attack capabilities of aircraft.

- Toshitsugu Utei