Proximity

His anxiety wouldn't let him sit quietly in his chamber so he did what he thought could be helpful. He walked straight away to the queen's chamber. By now, the guards had also understood not to stop 'a pacing Taehyung', while he was rushing for 'his grandmother'. So they let him pass without any questions. When he knocked the door, the queen answered immediately; as if she was expecting him.

"Come in. I wondered what took you so long!"
She was dressed in her comfiest night clothes. Which made her look like a fuzzy and warm 'ordinary' grandmother. If it was not for both the radiance and tiredness on her face, nobody could ever guess that this lady was leading the country for almost half a century now, with an iron fist.

"Grandma, I am sorry. I didn't want to bother you so late. But Jungkook…" It was endearing to see the scientist following all these conventions for the queen when he gave zero regards to them for anyone else. The credit might equally go to the queen's charismatic persona and her motherly warmth.

"You are never a bother, my child. In fact, I was waiting for you. Come, sit with me." The queen said, patting a space beside her on the recliner she was sitting on. Taehyung dragged himself to be seated near her. And the elderly lady, readily cupped his cheek with her nurturing palm and commented,

"You look more tired than I am. From what I heard and saw, you did really well, Taehyung-ah. Then why such a long face?"

"I think I messed up, grandma. Jungkook… Jungkook is upset with me, I guess. I don't know if he is sad or angry. But he is not happy for sure. I could see it on his face. He was so quiet in the car, and you know him, he never shuts up with me. But he didn't say a single word after I told him that you told me about Hiroshi and Mr. Reporter. He went straight away to the other wing. Uncle Mike said he might have gone for a bike ride. But uncle Mike seemed worried, too. What if he…"

"No. He won't. He WON'T. He promised me." The queen assured, and then continued.

"If I know him right, he is not upset with you. He might be a little hurt because this is something he wanted to forget about, but he is a royal. Born with the curse of being the subject to public scrutiny. Even if he wanted to forget about it, people won't. And he knows that's something he needs to learn to live with. I also think he might as well be upset because I told you everything directly or even because I know all these things even without him telling me. But you know,right? I had no choice. I am a queen even before I am your grandmother. I had to know. But Taehyung-ah, be assured. No matter how upset he is, he won't do anything impulsive, ever again. After we lost Jo, he promised me he would do better. So…."

Right then the door of the chamber cracked. A signature knock was heard right after.

"Sir Minhyuk, please come in." The queen answered.

"My queen, sorry to disturb you both. But I have an update. Jungkook is on his way back from Joana's condo. He is safe and undercover, as promised."

As soon as he heard this, Taehyung made a beeline to his and the prince's shared room, leaving a chuckling queen and shocked Knight behind.

"Oblivious, young love! Anyway, It's very noble of you to be so invested in his safety, Sir Park. I will forever be grateful."

"Your majesty, you know you don't need to thank me." He breathed, then thinking something he closed the door.

"You know, he is like my own, right? So please don't thank me for something I'll do in a heartbeat for that kid. I know, I have failed you. I lost one of our precious children. I spend every day of my life regretting that day. But I promise, I'll do anything to protect those who are left under my care, till my last breath. Just don't push me away by saying such things, mother." The Knight cried out as the mask of courage fell down. He knelt in front of the queen, holding her hands gently.