it will all be okay

Sun's POV

as i looked around at the arts and crafts table, i realised that the child i had kept watch over wasn't there. i began to get worried as i focused my attention back on the other children i was currently entertaining.

"u-uh, alright kiddos! time for a quick snack break! you can grab anything you want just from that table over there at the back" i pointed over to the table that was adorned with an assortment of treats, sandwiches, juice and water.

"YAY!" some of the kids screamed as they bounded their way over to the table. i took this as a chance to find them, until i realised that Cassie had also gone missing from the table. panic started to course inside me as i ran over and saw her by the back of the play structure.

as she turned around, she was met face to face with my body. i crouched down to her level and spoke to her. "hello sweetie! do you happen to know where the child went that was sat with you?" i asked her, desperate to hear an answer.

she rubbed her arm up and down as she motioned to the back entrance of the play structure. "they went in there. i'm not sure whereabouts other then that" she responded shyly. "thank you star. eh- why don't you go and sit with the others over by the snack time area?" i smiled down at her as she grinned. "okay mr. sun!" she laughed as she skipped along.

i climbed into the play structure, trying my best to find them. i was especially annoyed with myself for not asking for their name. that way it would've been easier to find them.

as i climbed further and further, i began to hear quiet sobs. i quickly followed the sound and that's when i'd found them. "oh no, sunshine, what's the matter?" they jumped as I had spoke, shuffling back as they'd done when i first saw them.

i sat down at the entrance of the crawl tube, not wanting to scare them any further. "don't worry, i won't come any closer if you don't want me to" i said but soon noticed something frightening.

their sleeve had gotten rolled up a bit, and that's when i saw they'd developed more wounds. "oh my goodness, you poor thing.." i whispered quietly as they realised. "a-ah! i'm- i'm sorry.." they stammered while backing up even more and shielding themself behind their hands.

"hey, hey, hey.. it's okay sunshine. i promise i won't hurt you. do you feel comfortable enough to come toward me? it's completely fine if not! i can leave if you'd like some privacy" i asked as they dropped their hands to their sides. "y-yeah" they said as they got on all fours and came closer.

they stopped right in front of me. "would you like a hug sunshine?" i asked as they quickly nodded, practically falling into my arms. i rocked them back and forth at a steady pace. "shh.. everything will be okay.." i soothed as i felt their shoulders loosen as they relaxed into my hold.

"t-thank you mr. Sun" they mumbled into my chest. "you're welcome, sunbeam"

we stayed like that for another 5 minutes before they giggled to which i was pleasantly surprised. "you're very warm" i smiled, "well, i am the sun after all!" i laughed along with them. "i-is it alright with you if i can clean your wounds? i just don't want them causing you discomfort" i asked, immediately slapping myself internally for bringing the topic back up, but to my surprise they allowed me.

"alright, let's head down sunshine" i said as i gently took their hand in mine as we made our way out the play structure.