opening up

⚠️ TW for this chapter ⚠️

y/n awoke the next morning, lifting themselves up and yawning heavily. looking around, they realised that they weren't in the daycare anymore. the room they were in was very messy. there were drawings scattered around the floor, foam blocks stacked near a table, some dismembered robot heads and some sun and moon plushies that lay lifeless, covered in dust.

they became confused as to where they were, until they noticed a separate tunnel that seemed to lead to another room. crawling over, they took a peak inside scanning over every detail. it looked to be in the same condition as the room they resided in, however, this one had an arcade machine that had clouds adorning the front of it.

as they crawled in the tube, they headed over to the machine. after fiddling around with some buttons, the machine switched itself on and on the screen seemed to be an animatronic face that had the same design as sun, but one side of its face was darker and he had 17 rays sat on his head instead of sun's usual 9.

suddenly, y/n heard the sound of someone landing on a platform from behind them. "y/n? where are you?" it was sun. y/n revealed themself from the tube, giving sun a small wave. "oh! there you are!" he smiled as he picked them up and spun them around. "i was worried about you! you've been up here sleeping for ages!" he said as y/n became confused. "what time is it?" they asked.

sun brought them to the balcony as he pointed to one of the clocks on the wall. y/n tried to squint their eyes to see but it was impossible from this distance. "i can't see it"
"oh! sorry, it's currently 3:25 pm!" sun informed as y/n looked down and immediately felt sick. they were afraid of heights. they hid their face in sun's foam coated chest and shook. "are you okay sunshine? what's wrong?" sun asked as he took notice of y/n's behaviour.

"i'm scared of heights" they admitted as sun quickly backed away from the edge. "oh my- i'm so sorry! i didn't know" he apologised as he set y/n down carefully on the ground. y/n smiled. "it's okay. now you do" they laughed as sun giggled.

all of a sudden though, y/n noticed that his facial expression changed to that of a serious one. it scared y/n a bit as it was rare to see sun not smiling. he then knelt down, looking into y/n's eyes.

"y/n, is it okay if i can talk to you for a second?" he asked politely, placing a hand on their shoulder. "u-um yeah.." they responded hesitantly, still utterly confused on what was happening. sun then stood himself up straight, motioning for y/n to sit next to him.

"now, you don't have to answer anything you don't feel comfortable answering, just say 'no' if that's the case" he explained as y/n's hands began to sweat at what was to come. he took a deep breath in and continued.

⚠️ a TW for next part ⚠️

"did you use that pencil sharpener to cut yourself with?" he asked as y/n froze. their eyes quickly darted around the room, avoiding sun's concerned gaze. "u-uhm.." they stuttered. "..what do you mean?"

"well, when i found Cassie standing by the opening to one of the play structures, she had told me you ran off into it and as soon as i sent her off to go sit with the others, i noticed that there was a pencil sharpener laying on the ground. i picked it up straight away, not wanting any of the younger kids to stand on it but as i did, i saw that there was some dry blood on the end" he explained as y/n realised that they couldn't lie anymore. they had to just come clean at this point.

sighing, they dropped their legs flat on the ground and fiddled with their hands. "...yes, i did" they said barely above a whisper but somehow sun still heard it. "thank you for being honest" he smiled, but y/n continued.

"i did it because my life back at home isn't exactly the best. my family don't exactly like me that much. they always find some way to yell at me if i make the tiniest mistake, like that one time when i was eating my dinner and my broccoli accidentally dropped off my fork and onto the floor.." y/n shivered at the thought but continued, "i don't really feel comfortable sharing what happened after, but- after i'd done it the first time, i couldn't stop.."

sun sat there in shock and sadness. hearing this made him truly upset. "oh y/n, i'm so so sorry to hear that. it sounds terrible.. i just can't believe that your family would do such a thing.. especially to a sweet young one like yourself.." he said as y/n felt tears stinging at their eyes.

suddenly, they all came out at once as they quickly placed their hands over their face. seeing this, sun immediately wrapped his arms around the crying child, shushing them softly. "shh.. it's gonna be okay sunshine" he soothed as y/n choked between sobs. "y-you're not m-mad at me.. are you?" their voice was shaky from crying. "what?! of course not! i would never be angry at you my sweet sundrop.. if anything i'm so proud of you for being confident and reaching out to someone.. even if that someone is just me.. well, and moony too" he smiled as y/n smiled too.

"thank you mr. sun"