Water Ghost

A few disciples paddled and used nets to chase after the underwater shadow. Someone shouted from the other side, " There are some here as well! "

On the other side, a mass of black shadows also whooshed past. A number of narrow boats dragged nets and went over but they didn't catch anything. Wei WuXian spoke, " That's strange. The shape of this shadow doesn't seem like a human. It's also sometimes long and sometimes short, sometimes large and sometimes small... Lan Zhan, beside your boat! "

Instantly the Bichen on Lan WangJi's back unsheathed and stabbed into the water. After a moment, it flew out of the river with a sharp resonance, taking with it a crescent of water. Yet it didn't pierce anything.

He held the sword in his hand with a stern expression. As he was about to speak, a disciple on the other side also drew out his sword thrusting it toward a dark shadow which swiftly swam by in the water.

However after his sword went underwater it never came out again. He chanted the sword incantation for a few more times but nothing was retrieved from the water. It was as if his sword had been devoured by the lake disappearing without a trace. The disciple looked like he was a youth of similar age as Wei WuXian and the others. Without his sword, his face grew paler and paler. An older disciple beside him spoke, " Su She, right now, we still haven't determined what the thing inside the water is. Why did you act on your own and make your sword go underwater? "

Su She seemed like he was somewhat flustered but his expression was relatively calm, " I saw that Second Young Master also..."

He realized before he even finished speaking, how unsuitable this sentence was. No matter what the Bichen sword or Lan WangJi were not comparable with others. Lan WangJi could enter his sword into water when the opponent was unknown and be just fine but it might not be the case for others. An embarrassed shade of red seeped through his pale complexion as if he had been disgraced. He glimpsed at Lan WangJi but Lan WangJi didn't look at him and instead attentively observed the water. In an instant Bichen was unsheathed again.

This time, the blade of the sword wasn't inserted into water but instead the tip of the sword jolted and whisked up a piece of shadow from within the water. A pile of wet, black mess fell onto the floor of the boat with a plop. Wei WuXian went on his toes to have a look. To his surprise, it was a piece of clothing.

Wei WuXian laughed so hard that he almost toppled into the river, " Lan Zhan, you're so impressive! This is my first time seeing someone remove a water ghoul's clothing when they're catching water ghouls."

Lan WangJi simply examined Bichen's tip to see if there was anything strange seeming to have decided to not converse with him. Jiang Cheng spoke, " You should shut up. The thing that swam underwater really wasn't a water ghoul. There was only a piece of clothing! "

Of course, Wei WuXian also saw it clearly. He just didn't feel satisfied without teasing Lan WangJi a few times. He spoke, " So, the thing that was sneaking around was just this piece of clothing? Now that's why the nets couldn't catch it and swords couldn't pierce it. Its shape was always different. However, a piece of clothing couldn't have swallowed up a whole sword. There must be something else inside the water."

At the moment, the boats already floated toward the center of Biling Lake. The color of the lake was an extremely dark shade of green. Suddenly, Lan WangJi slightly lifted his head, " Go back immediately."

Lan XiChen asked, " Why? "

Lan WangJi answered, " The underwater beings led the boats to the center of Biling Lake on purpose."

Just as he finished his words everyone suddenly felt their boats sinking.

Water immediately started to spread into the boats. Wei WuXian suddenly noticed that the color of Biling Lake's water wasn't dark green any more but almost black. Surrounding the area close to the center a large whirlpool had formed without anybody realizing. The ten-or-so boats circled around following the currents of the whirlpool. They sunk as they spun as if they were going to be sucked inside a gigantic black mouth!