TWO

"Wait... what?" Adrian steps back, appalled at my choice. "You do know that I was kidding, right? I only mentioned applying, so you would come with me."

"Why shouldn't I go for this opportunity?" My arms cross in defense.

"This place... I've heard awful rumors about what they do to the patients," he shakes his head. "I just don't think it's a good idea to work there. For your safety and your sanity."

I must admit, Adrian's apprehension is concerning me a bit.

However, I'm wise enough to make the right decision for my future. This is the first time that I have had a shot at a career. I can't lose it over a few nerves.

"Yeah, well, I'm tired of job hunting," I dismiss his claims. "It's been four months, soon to be five. I have to take this chance for myself."

"I guess I can't really stop you," the blonde-haired man sighs. "I'll wait in the car while you go inside. Just don't take too long!"

"Of course," I smile.

Adrian strolls away to the parking spot, and I head up the concrete steps to the asylum's entrance. Almost all of the news reporters, along with the rest of the audience, have left now. The fewer people there are, the eerier the campus feels.

When I reach the top, overtly large guard stops me. He seems very annoyed by my presence, like I'm a fan trying to get into the building to see Darren Walker. All of these guards clearly hate working here.

"The show's over." His voice echoes, loud and threatening.

"Well, I'm actually here to fill out an application for the psychologist position," I inform in hopes of gaining access to the asylum.

His eyebrow raises, "You don't look like a psychologist."

"And what does one look like?" I ask, sarcasm lacing my words.

"Nevermind," he grunts. "Make it quick."

The genie grants my wish and opens the tall door. There's a slight creaking sound as it slowly widens. My palms start to sweat as my heart rate picks up again. With the anxiety my body has dealt with today, I'm surprised that I'm still walking on two feet.

As I assumed, the interior of the asylum isn't much better than the exterior. Chattery nurses, outside visitors, and a few guards fill the lobby, but it's still not difficult to spot the design flaws.

The mint green paint on the cinder block walls is slightly peeling, enough to make it noticeable. There are skid marks from shoes on the checkered floor. Even the staircase leading to the second level is cracking. With some necessary renovations, it wouldn't be so bad.

Eventually, I find my way to the front desk, not sure where I should go. A younger lady is sitting behind it, writing down something on a slip of paper. At first, she doesn't notice me standing there.

"Excuse me, miss?" I clear my throat to speak.

This woman is quite dazzling with her bright red lipstick and blonde hair styled in a beehive. I can smell the hairspray wafting from the opposite side of the desk. Her name tag says "Ella."

"Oh! I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there!" she immediately perks up, a fake smile projected on her face. "What will you need today, sir?"

"I want to apply for the open position," I answer, pushing up my glasses on my face.

"That's wonderful!" Ella chimes, still grinning. "Sign here on the guest clipboard, then fill out this application. Let me know when you're all finished."