ELEVEN

Kenneth

     I am terrified.

In five minutes, I will be forced, practically against my will, to whip Darren as a punishment for nearly killing Edward. Why am I being tortured for his actions? Maybe any other employee wouldn't mind being put to the task, but I, for one, am feeling uneasy.

Unlike the warden, I'm not a cruel person. I don't enjoy inflicting pain on others.

I've been trying to come up with every single excuse in the book to get out of this mess. However, I don't think Catherine will budge.

One of the guards escorts me to the correct room. We don't talk on the way there. What's there to say to a man of his power? A lot, but nothing reasonable.

The walk is short, but with each step I take, my heart beats faster and faster. My palms begin to clam up, knowing what's coming.

When we get to the designated room, my hands shake with fear. I can't do this.

Upon entering, my attention immediately travels to Darren, who is stripped down to his underwear and handcuffed to a metal pole. He rests in the center of the room, on his knees. The whole sight is humiliating. I can't imagine the thoughts that are running through his head.

Knowing his bare back is soon to be slashed up makes me want to vomit up today's breakfast. This is making me regret applying here.

All I can think about is, why me?

The guard directs me to stand next to Catherine. I make sure to take as long as possible to stall the event. She's carefully eyeing me, but I choose to avoid her threatening stare.

There's a row of different whips hanging on the wall right behind where the warden is standing. The room is dim, but there's not much to see anyways. With its stone walls and concrete floors, the room is depressingly dull. This area was built for a purpose.

A small crowd of nurses and security guards form a circle around the room. Of course, Edward is here as well. No surprise there. He probably wants to see Darren tortured. Sadist.

Why are they all here, watching as if their favorite TV show is about to air? The group is chatting amongst themselves, acting like this is an everday occasion. This is not a field trip; this is a torture chamber.

"Now that Dr. Baker has arrived, we can get this punishment started," Catherine announces, and the room quiets down. I gulp. "At Holmes Chapel Asylum, we strictly forbid patients to cause any sort of violence towards our staff members. Unfortunately, Darren Walker disobeyed our rules which results in punishment. Therefore, we have Dr. Baker to proceed in completing this act of discipline."

The whole time that the warden gives her bullshit speech, I'm staring at Darren with sympathy. He can't see me as I'm standing behind him, but I know that he can feel my presence.

My jumbled brain doesn't focus on her words until I hear my name again. Then I realize that she's grabbing one of the leather whips. Cathy forces one into my hand, which I barely grasp because of my noticeable shaking.

Isn't there some way to get out of this? There aren't many options. The best I can do is beg and plead.

She guides me to stand directly behind Darren and then struts over to face him. "You will give Walker fifty total strikes. I will count each of them out loud. Begin when you're ready."

For a moment, I attempt to recollect my thoughts. The warden has dropped a ton of bricks on me, and I'm suffocating. There's absolutely no way in hell that I can go through with this. Darren doesn't deserve the pain I'm supposed to give him.