FIVE

Darren's lips are addictive. His mouth is a sweet, fruity wine, and I'm the alcoholic. With each taste, I go back for more and don't question it.

As much as I hate to profess my true feelings, I have to admit that Ilove every second of this moment. I've never been kissed like this.

Since I first laid eyes on him, I've wanted this and it's dangerous. This is bad. Very bad. But I can't help it. Lord help me, but I would sin so hard for Darren Walker.

His hands cup my cheeks as he deepens the kiss. A fire explodes in my belly, aching for more. Darren's tongue battles with mine for the dominant position, but he's currently winning. After all, he's the more assertive one.

I can't believe I'm making out with an alleged psychopath... Oh no. What am I doing?

Ever since I've gotten this job, I've been slowly losing myself as a rational person, and it's only day seven.

I have to stop this.

"Get the fuck off of me!" I push Darren away, finally coming to my senses again.

"What the hell was that for?" he growls.

Darren's angry when he's the one who came onto me. He's the one who broke all of the doctor-to-patient barriers. He's the one who's putting both of us at risk. He doesn't have the right to be pissed off. I do.

"Are you fucking psychotic?" I let out a sarcastic laugh.

With an intimidating smirk, he says, "You've got that right, darling."

"Stop trying to charm me, Darren!"

I want to slap his angelic face. Not to hurt him, but to give him a reality check.

"Fine," he agrees for once. "But you have to stop acting as if you didn't enjoy that. I know, for a fact, that you did."

I shove past him to pick up the tray of pills, brewing up a reply in the process.

"We can't do this, Darren." I make sure to avoid his sharpened stare. "This isn't right... or even safe. I could lose my position here."

He licks his bottom lip as if I'm his next meal.

"Is it because of who they say I am?" Darren interrogates me. I refuse to answer. "Scared of a little danger?"

I glance down at the tray in my hands. I've been in his cell for too long. The guards, or even Edward, might come looking for me if I trespass any longer.

"I have to go."

"Kenneth, I'm sorry-"

Without another word, I exit his room and lock it behind me. My brain is scrambled eggs. I'm already regretting giving in to my darkest desires.

What did I just do?

***

When I plop down on the empty cafeteria bench for lunchtime, Idon't expect Edward to take a seat across from me a minute later. He's not a very vocal man, so I haven't figured out how he feels about me. I'm guessing this is a step forward.

"I hope this seat wasn't taken," the raven-haired man grins.

"Well... I did have a date scheduled with my imaginary friend," I sigh, jokingly. of course. "But I guess you can take her spot."

"I'm sure she won't mind," Edward plays along.

As he takes a bite of his sandwich, I grow uncomfortable from the sense that someone is watching me. Peering over my shoulder, I see Darren forking his food and staring at me. He makes it very obvious.