FOUR

Today officially marks a week since I've started working at the asylum. The days have become much easier now. Each one was easier than the last.

I've grown a lot more comfortable with the patients here. Most of them seem to have taken a liking to me. I assume it's because I understand how they feel and what they're going through mentally and physically. I don't tell the patients that they're insane; I agree with them. They see most employees as the enemy, but I much rather be a friend.

As I enter the recreation room, I notice Darren sitting down at one of the comfier chairs. He smokes a cigarette while reading some sort of novel. The man has refused to talk to me since our little encounter the other day. Our first therapy session was utterly silent, even when I tried to get him to speak up.

I take a seat in the chair next to him. "Those things will kill you, ya know?"

"And why do you care if I die?" he stares at me, taking another drag then blowing the smoke into my face. Thanks, Darren.

"Because I like you," I cough from the smoke. Then, I realize what I've just admitted. "I mean, I consider you a friend."

"That's funny! Usually, friends don't wrongfully assign them with a personality disorder," he sneers.

"I'm sorry."

Why am I apologizing to a murderer? Am I the crazy one? God, this place is already fucking me up.

"Apologies don't always mend things."

Isigh, "Then what do you want from me? You're acting over-dra-matic. I'm offering the best that I can."

"I know what I want from you, Dr. Baker," he says.

"What is it?"

"It's kind of impossible, darling," Darren laughs deeply. The sound of his laughter is charming. I can't deny that I didn't fall for it. He's got me wrapped around his dirty finger.

"We both know that you cannot be hiding secrets in this place, Mr. Walker," I investigate.

He closes his book and takes another puff of his cigarette. "You're not going to like it."

"I order you to tell me," I raise my voice, forgetting that a guard watching us.

"Fine. Have it your way..." he shrugs. "I wasn't kidding about that kiss."

"Darren Walker!"

Back to square one, I guess. No matter how attractive he is, I can't give in to my sinful desires. My job is on the line. My life, too.

I'm not sure what he's scheming. This man is completely psychotic, trying to fool me. Well, he won't con me into his screwed-up plot. He won't win this.

"Told you it was absurd," he laughs again.

"You're really good at playing mind games, Walker."

He scowls, "You think I'm joking?"

I lean in closer to him, whispering, "First of all, you were put into this place a week ago. Second, you're obviously trying to mess with me, claiming that you're gay. And third, well, I think we all know why you're in here."

"Why would I lie about my sexuality while imprisoned in a Catholic-run asylum? That would be asking to be killed." His face has turned straight. Could he be telling the truth? "I trust you."

"How could you trust me when you think I wrongfully diagnosed you?" I wonder.

"Honestly, besides that, you're the only person here that has shown respect for me. Especially with the way the guards handle me. You have defended me a couple of times. That's why I trust you. You're different."