TEN

The warden takes a seat across from my desk, the same exact spot Darren sits in every session. She's most definitely hiding something. This woman still frightens me. I know absolutely nothing about her. Except that she's a stone-cold bitch, of course.

"Not a problem. " I comply.

"Dr. Hughes was attacked not more than ten minutes ago," she explains while smoothing down the edges of her dress.

My heart falls to the bottom of my stomach. Part of me wants to deny the fact that I know that it was Darren, but who else could it be? He was clearly mad about what Edward said to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the promise- not to attack him- was broken. I hope
I'm wrong.

"Oh god! Is Dr. Hughes okay?" I sink into my chair, genuinely concerned about his well-being.

"He's fine. A bruise here and there, but he's doing well," she assures me. "Darren Walker was the one who lashed out at him."

I knew it. The bastard promised not to do anything to Edward. He lied to me. It makes my blood boil that he thinks it's alright to break a promise. Then again, I shouldn't have put my trust in a person with a history of manipulation. I feel stupid.

"Do you know why?" I play coy.

"There wasn't a specific reason that we know of at the moment. Since we all know why Patient Walker is behind these walls, there really could be no motivation. This isn't a shocking case," Cathy tells me. "But I thought maybe you would know his reasoning."

My forehead creases in confusion. "How would I know?"

"Well, he is one of your patients that you see regularly," she says.

She might be catching onto us. This isn't good. I have to deflect the situation.

"I don't think he would tell me if he was going to harm Dr. Hughes," I reply, shaking my head. "The inmates are not that open with me."

"Some of the guards have informed me that it seems you and Darren talk often outside of the office," she adds. "I've heard that during rec time and even lunch, you two chat."

"Yes, but I'm cautious of him," I lie to her face. "After quite a few evaluations, I feel he needs more human connection. I'm only doing my job, Cathy."

"You see, our last psychologist had an issue of engaging with some of the patients on an intimate level, and we don't need that happening again," the warden tries to pry the response she wants out of me. Yeah, in your dreams.

"All of my patients are strictly patients. It would be wrong to feel any other way towards them."

"Good," she forces a grin. There's a brief moment of silence before she continues, "So, obviously, Walker will need some sort of punishment. That way, we are sure that he won't be causing such trouble again."

"And what were you thinking about?" I wonder, trying to mask my anxiety.

"Usually, the electric shock chair would be the plausible solution." Pure evil laces her voice. It almost sounds like this entire ordeal entertains her. The whole thing makes me queasy.

No matter how angry I am with Darren, I still don't want him to be electrocuted. Punishment of that nature is plain cruel. This type of discipline has the ability to alter his brain depending on the level and amount of shock waves that are sent through his head.

There has to be another option. Something less mentally damaging.

"Are there other solutions?" I wonder, hoping to alter the plans.