TWENTY-SEVEN

"Is he awake yet?"

"His eyes are moving I think."

"Give it a minute."

"They're opening!"

"He's alive."

I don't know if I'm dreaming, but I can hear voices surrounding me. One sounds like Kenneth. Another, I believe, is Edward's or Terrence's? There are some unrecognized female voices too. slowly, I begin to open my eyes, revealing a hospital room of people staring at me.

My attention immediately adverts to Kenneth, who is bright-eyed and holding my hand. I don't remember much. How did I even end up here? Last thing I knew was that I was on the verge of death. Or was that a nightmare? I can't seem to determine reality from fantasy.

"Hi baby," Kenneth smiles wide, hugging me. I wince at the slight pain. He apologizes, noticing my discomfort, "Oh my gosh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm just so happy you're here."

There is an IV injected into my arm, and some device clipped onto my finger. A piercing beeping sound radiates throughout the room. My head hurts, and my chest feels sore. The room is spinning around me.

"I barely remember what happened..." I sigh.

"I'm sure it'll all come back soon. No reason to fret over it."

Then I notice the others observing me carefully. Edward is the first person I make eye contact with. He grins awkwardly at me. Did he forget the time that he threatened me? Because I sure don't. He's still an asshole.

Then, there's a blonde-haired man sitting down in the corner. I have no clue who he is, but he avoids staring at me. Finally, the warden's secretary is standing behind Edward. She also doesn't spare me many glances. Everyone, except my boyfriend, looks like they don't belong. Why are they even here?

"Terrence visited earlier too," Kenneth tells me, recognizing my puzzlement.

"Oh." I nod.

"That's Adrian." He points to the man in the rocking chair.

"Kenneth tells me a lot about you," he says.

My boyfriend blushes, agreeing, "It's true. You're all I talk about."

"I'm flattered," I joke.

There are some memories finally coming back to me. I remember being waterboarded by Catherine and her minions. I know for a fact that I saved Kenneth from being shot and took the bullet myself instead. Some parts of the story are still fuzzy.

"Baby, I'm so sorry. I got us into this mess. I told them about us. I-"

"Shhh..." Kenneth puts his finger against my lips. "That doesn't matter anymore. You're alive-"

"But-"

"Darren!"

"What?"

"Just be quiet for a moment." My boyfriend softly smiles.

"Sorry." I frown.

"Well, we did it! You're a free man now," he cheers.

Everything's moving so fast. It's difficult to process it all. There's no way that I'm outside of the asylum.

"W-What? This is a dream, right?"

"No, silly, you're back in the real world. You're at a hospital not too far from the asylum."

Then, a woman with a white uniform walks in, which interrupts our conversation. Her hair is tied up into a bun. She has a beaming smile, "He's awake! Good."

"Yeah, for about ten minutes now," Kenneth confirms.

"How are you feeling today, Mr. Walker?"

"My body aches. Also, I'm still sort of confused about all of this."

"Well, that's fairly normal. You're a lucky man, Mr. Walker. Thankfully, the bullet avoided any main arteries," she informs me. "Hopefully, you will be able to go home after a couple more days here. We want you to make a full, safe recovery. For now, I'll let you spend some more time with your friends and family."

"Family?"

"Oh, I almost forgot," Kenneth chimes. "Your mum is here."

"What?!"