Tasting Lies

I have always been able to taste lies, no matter the kind, I can taste it. The worse the lie is the worse the taste is, even if I lie I can taste it. I have a best friend named Gila. She rarely lies but I think that is because she learned a while ago that I know when she lies. It doesn't matter who lies, I can taste it if I hear it but I don't just taste lies but the truth too. It tastes more sweet than the bitter taste of lies. For half truths or half lies I can only half taste, as for the name of half truth and half lies.

I head to the park where I am meeting up with Gila. We haven't seen each other in a while from being busy with work. We both work at different places as Gila works a part time job as she is also going to college and I work full time. When I get to the park, I see that Gila is already at the bench that we normally meet up at. She seems upset, so I sit down next to her.

"Gila? What happened?"

"You know John? My boyfriend?"

"Yes, I do. What happened?"

"He broke up with me."

I look at her in surprise. They have been dating for five years and I know that John was about to propose to Gila. If it wasn't for the sweet taste in my mouth I would think that she was lying to me. "What? Why?"

"I saw him being really touchy with some girl so I asked him about it so there was no miscommunication between us or anything like that. He got mad at me and said that she was just a friend. I believed him but when I saw her pictures being sent I asked him about them and he broke up with me for not being trustworthy. But I guess now that I am thinking about it I should have seen the signs." Gila starts crying as she speaks.

I hold her close as she cries. "It's okay. You are just human after all." I almost vomit as I speak. That's not normal. How bad of a lie did I just tell.

Gila looks up at me. She knows that I know now. She sits up. "Effe. Please listen to me. I know you know now. I don't want you to think that I have lied to you." She pauses for a second. I know she wants me to see what I taste. She is telling the truth.

"I am a vampire. Most of the things you know aren't true. We get sunburned fast but sunscreen stops that. Garlic just makes us have diarrhea. Stakes do kill us but anything in the heart will. We are immortal but vampires have to be born or well pure vampires at least. We do drink blood but only like once a week. We do have unnatural abilities but only pure vampires and it's different for everyone."

I can tell that she is telling the truth. I want to see her differently but she is still my best friend. "So then what is not a pure vampire?"

"A half vampire. Sunscreen doesn't work for them so they still get sunburn, garlic is the same, no unnatural abilities, stakes are the same, they do need to drink blood more, and there is a 50/50 chance their kids will be vampires."

"So they are weaker and can have human kids. What about pure vampire's kids?"

"Pure vampire with other pure vampires are pure vampires, with half vampires 50/50, with pure vampires and humans together 70/30 for half vampires, the 70 is the chance they are half vampires."

My mouth is really sweet so I know this is all the truth. "You seem prepared to tell me all of this."

"I have been. I have known for a while that if you hear someone call me human that you would know it was a lie so I have been prepared just in case if that were to ever happen, that day you find out but now I don't need to hide it from you any more."

I take a second to take this all in. "So are you a pure vampire?"

"Yes, I am. My dad and mom are both vampires as well."

"So what is your unnatural ability?"

"I guess you would want to know that. I can climb walls."

I look at her in surprise. I was not expecting that. I was expecting something like super speed or any mind like ability, not climbing walls. "Have you used it before?"

"Yes, I have."

"What was it like?"

"I don't know how to describe it. I guess it's like rock climbing but easier."

"Well I have been rock climbing so I kind of know what you mean."

"Thank you for taking this so well."

"Of course. You are still my best friend."

We spent the rest of the day together and I have given her the nickname of cat vampire now. 

Good job you have reached the end you gay ass I love you guess who this is from.

Mia