Skeleton Key

This story is darker than my others so please be warn before reading. It does talk about killing and being a killer so people read at your own risk.

I look down at the key my grandfather gave me when I was a kid. The top looks like a skull and it feels like bone. I have the key on a string around my neck so I always have it. My grandfather actually said it was made from grandma's leg bone and at first I didn't believe him but seeing what my dad did with his leg bone, I am started to think my family has some kind of weird tradition with dead members as he took my grandfathers left leg bone and made it into some kind of puzzle piece. My grandma died giving birth to my father. I never met my mother so I only have my grandfather as my grandparent so every time my dad needed a babysitter he watched me. When I was 10 he gave me the key. I could never find out where it went though. I am now 19 years old and I still don't know where it goes. One thing my grandfather was stubborn about was something that I have always hated but admired about him. He always stood his ground, even when others told him it would be easier to give in.

My grandfather died only a week ago and we didn't have a funeral as he didn't want one. He fell down the stairs to my dad's apartment. He was almost 80 and we already knew he wasn't going to last much longer. I never went to my grandma's grave, but from what I know, my grandfather had a space for him when he died and he visited her every weekend for most of the day. I know my dad now has a spot next to my grandfather, which I think is weird.

I'm going to visit him today. I just need to see him. He was a big part of my life. The cemetery is a small walk away so I just walk there. When I get there I find where my family is. I see some weird holds in some of the graves, which seems weird. I sat in front of his grave. I go to say something when I see something. It looks like a keyhole. I look down at the key around my neck. That's when I remember a few things, the key and gravestone was made at around the same time. I take off the necklace and I put the key in the hole.

It's a perfect fit. I look around but I see no one. I turn the key. I hear something unlock. I look around the gravestone when I see a small door at the back of the gravestone. I open the door. It's dusty inside with a small bottle and there is a note.

The note reads, "Hello Julia. I have something to pass onto you. You see the truth is your family is full of killers. I was a killer, your father was a killer, my father was a killer, your mother was a killer, and so was my wife. Now, it's time for you to join the family line and when your husband/wife, I don't care, or your father dies, you need to get yourself a gravestone and pass the tradition on to your grandkids and if you don't have grandkids then to your kids. The bottle is poison, if you take it you accept your role in the family and burn this paper. I love you kid. Goodbye, grandpa."

I look down at it in disbelief, but it explains so much. When I told my grandfather that I wanted to hurt people he brought me to a training room where I would stab a realistic doll that would bleed. He showed me how to kill without me seeing it. I smile to myself.

"I love you too, grandfather."

I take the poison and I close the door. I take out my key and I put it back on. I know it is messed up but so am I. I was trained to do this. My first victim, my landlords' daughter. She has always been a brat and I have gotten in so many fights with her. I walk to my place. I see my father isn't home. I grab gloves to be safe and I put my hair up. I walk to my landlords' home, which is big.

I knock on the door. His daughter answers. I put on an innocent face but kept my face normal.

"What do you want?"

"I just got this cool new liquid flavoring and I know how you like to flavor your waters so I wanted to brag about it." I show her the poison.

"Give me." She takes the poison out of my hands and slams the door in my face.

I walk away. How can she be so stupid? I thought that was going to be harder, but it looks like it's easier than I thought. I chuckle to myself as I head home.