Chapter 2

Alex made his way towards Cabin K thinking about all his past friends. Sabina, Tom even Jack; Alex still felt the loss of those people everyday even if on the outside he was a feelingless agent. Alex was determined not to make any connections here. Alex had finally reached Cabin K. He stopped and knocked on the door before stepping inside. "Who are you?" a man lounging on a bunk asked. "Cub" was Alex's response. "Cub... oh you're the new recruit. What are you doing here?" Another man asked. "Sergeant assigned me here" "Ok we were told we would be getting a new member. I'm Wolf team leader." Wolf introduced. "Snake, team medic" "Eagle, technology expert" "Fox, language expert" "Well now that we all know each other Cub pick a bunk and get some sleep, curfew is in and hour" Wolf instructed. Alex chose the bottom bunk in the corner near a window he could easily slip out of and covered in half by shadows. Alex and the rest of K-unit got in bed for the night; however once Alex was sure everyone was asleep he rolled out of bed full clothed and walked silently to the door, Once a spy always a spy Alex thought as he made his way to the assault course. Alex ran the assault course in the dark pushing himself to go faster and faster.Alex then moved on to the gym. He quietly and easily picked the door lock and slipped inside. Not bothering to wrap his hands Alex got to work on the punching bag, not of course giving full power he didn't want to have to explain a broken punching bag. Alex pushed himself harder and harder using his pent up emotions as energy. It was around 3 in the morning when he was finished. He made his way silently back to his bunk making sure there wasn't any trace of his activities.

  "Wake up you pansies you have 10 min to get ready before breakfast. Any slow pokes won't get breakfast" Sergeant announced yelling his morning wake up call. Alex rolled out of bed without complaint and waited for his turn in the shower patiently. He ran through all of the drills with K-unit, constantly holding himself back. He was quiet not talking except when spoken to directly and even then he ended the conversations quickly. At lunch in the mess hall Alex ate with K-unit. K-unit decided that lunch would be the best time to learn more about their new silent comrade. "So Cub how do you like life at BB?" Snake asked. "Well when I got here the instructors said welcome to hell and I can't say they haven't lived up to their greeting." Alex answered. "Well how was your life outside of BB, everyone has a reason to join what's yours?" Fox asked. "My life was pretty normal, I went to school, had a job, got some girls you know the normal boring everyday life" Alex lied but at the same time he knew he wasn't. "My family pressured me into the military, turns out I had a talent for it." Alex continued, "So what made you guys join the SAS?" "Well my whole family is in the military so it was kind of a family tradition" Wolf said. "Didn't want to work in a hospital so I became a field medic" Snake said. "Recruited straight out of college" Fox announced. "Ran away from home and joined the circus" Eagle  announced. The rest of them looked at Eagle like he was crazy. Then Eagle busted out laughing. "Oh man you should see the looks on your faces" Eagle exclaimed laughing. "Your joking right?" Fox questioned. "Of course I'm joking I was recruited just like Fox" Eagle said with a smile. Lunch was over and K-unit left the mess hall for afternoon courses, none of them realizing Alex had turned the conversation away from himself. This cycle; Alex training during the day with K-unit, K-unit trying and failing to learn more about Cub, and Alex training by himself at night; continued for about a month before MI6 decided to interfere.

  Alex was running through the assault course with K-unit, he was purposefully last, when Sergeant called Alex to his office. "Oh Cub is in trouble"Eagle teased. "Yeh yeh Eagle keep teasing" Alex called over his shoulder as he ran towards Sergeant's office. Alex was about to knock when he heard rather loud voices. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU SENT AN MI6 AGENT TO MY FACILITY UNDERCOVER!" a voice Alex recognized as Sergeant's yelled. He also heard the very familiar calm voice of Mrs. Jones. "Yes we did, our agent needed some recovery time before going out in the field. Here seemed to be the best option." "WELL WHICH ONE OF MY SOLDIERS HAS BEEN LYING TO ME, AND FOR HOW LONG?" Sergeant demanded. "Alex you can come in now" Mrs. Jones said calmly. Alec cursed quietly to himself for being caught eavesdropping, before stepping into Sergeant's office. "Mrs. Jones, Sergeant" Alex greeted. "Cub ?" Sergeant questioned. "Actually it's Alex, sir, Alex Rider" "You're the MI6 agent? I should have known, you have only been here a month and your are already in K-unit"  Sergeant admitted. "Yes sir sorry for lying to you but it's part of my cover" Alex said. "Yes Sergeant MI6 would like Alex to continue to stay at BB during his time off missions" Mrs. Jones continued. "Very well I can assume you want Alex's identity to remain a secret and I guess I can allow Alex to remain at BB for the time being" Sergeant admitted. "Thank you sir, and Mrs. Jones I can only assume you have come here with a mission for me?" Alex asked. "Yes Alex there is a car waiting for you out front you will be briefed on the way" Alex realizing his dismissal got up and walked out to the waiting car.

  K-unit finished up afternoon courses and were heading back to their cabin "What do you think happened to Cub?" Snake asked. "I don't know I haven't seen him since he was called to Sergeant's office" Fox answered. "I hope he didn't get binned" Eagle commented. "No he was doing really well for a new recruit, like really really well." "Yeah his doesn't seem to have trouble with anything" "You're right there is something off about him. I see it sometimes at the shooting range" "I know what you mean but I just can't pinpoint it" "I mean what do we really know about Cub?" They all thought about it "We don't really know anything" "You're right all our attempts at trying to get to know him have failed. He has always turned it around on us and we don't ever catch it until afterwards" K-unit continued to think about their missing comrade.