Chapter 8

Alex woke up slowly. Instead of opening his eyes Alex let his other sense explore his surroundings. His hands were bound with heavy chains strung through the metal rafters on the ceiling and his feet were chained to the floor. Alex hated the way Scorpia secured him. It rendered him completely at their mercy, but that of course was their point. Pain... immense pain hit Alex in waves. Slowly his thoughts came together. I am at Scorpia, Doctor Three is here, Doctor Three had been torturing me.

 He remembered the pain, each strike of the whip, every cut of the knife, each painful electric shock, and every sizzle of every burn. He had blacked out several times from blood loss or when the pain became just too much. At first Doctor Three's torture had been just for his own amusement but after Alex had blacked out the first couple of times Doctor Three had started asking questions. But Alex's resolve had only strengthened once Doctor' Three had begun questioning him.

 Some time ago Doctor Three had left for a Scorpia board meeting, leaving Alex to his pain and misery. Alex had sent out his distress signal when they were chaining him up. Unfortunately there had been no sign that MI6 had received his signal, or done anything about it. Sadly Alex had been in this situation before, a terrorist group catches him and tries to extract information from him, he sends out a distress signal but MI6 never responds, and Alex ends up saving himself without any assistance receiving great personal harm. But this time is different, something inside of Alex is missing. Bear's death hit him harder than he is willing to admit. This time Alex isn't sure his famous luck of the devil will be enough he has simply lost faith in himself.

Time Break

 Alex winced at the crack of the whip against his back. Alex's back was covered with scars from previous missions. Layer after layer of ropy whip marks covered his back and dozens of deep cutting knife wounds decorated it as well. Under normal circumstances Alex's back looked terrible but with fresh deep whip cuts pouring blood his back looked absolutely horrendous. Doctor Three had been at Alex for hours trying to get him to break. Alex tried to hold in his cries of pain but with every crack of the whip his resolve was falling and finally it fell. A cry a pain escaped Alex's lips. Doctor Three's efforts were only encouraged by Alex's display of emotion. The torture went on and on and on. Alex's only relief was the constant need of the Scorpia's board members to meet.

 Alex's time in Scorpia's was not unproductive. As per usual Alex had learned valuable information about some of Scorpia's most diabolical schemes. He only needed to escape and give the information to MI6. Normally I'd just smack talk my way out or slip out of my bonds, but that won't work with Scorpia. They won't fall for it. Alex thought to himself during one break from the torture. I could continue to hope that MI6 will rescue me. But they haven't before  and probably never will. I don't see why they don't ever rescue me. I mean , I'm the perfect agent no failed missions. Why do they simply not care. Alex continues to think. But why should anyone care. I haven't done anything good for my family, friends, or anyone I've come in contact with. I got them all killed. Their blood is on my hands and I can never wash off that stain. I should have saved them. I could have saved them. Why didn't I save them? I'm useless, completely useless. Why should I live I have nothing to live for. They all had such bright futures. Alex's thoughts continued to get darker and darker. Alex's darkest thoughts and fears stormed around in his mind destroying the little hope he had left. Until they finally overwhelmed him. He gave into fear and desperation for the first time in his life. Alex was drowning in his own sorrows and pain. All his bottled up emotions finally spilled over. Alex had given up hope, he was broken.

  If K-unit was worried for Cub before he mysteriously left, then they absolutely distraught about his absence now. K-unit was used to Cub's frequent absences from base. Normally he we gone for a short time four to five days at the most, but it had been four weeks since Alex's disappearance. They had been less concerned during the first week but as the days passed by their concern grew.

  "We should go ask Sergeant where he is" Eagle burst out one day. "Yeah we should go ask him after we are done with the assault course." Wolf agreed. K-unit finished the course with new determination and headed off to Sergeant's office. Fox, the brave one, reached out and knocked on the door. "Enter" Sergeant commanded. One by one K-unit stepped into Sergeant's office. K-unit saluted "At ease soldiers" "Sergeant we are worried about Cub, he has been gone for four weeks" Snake said. "He is out on an approved mission his absence is not to be worried over" Sergeant stated. "Yes but it has been four weeks!" Eagle exclaimed, "Maybe Cub is in trouble, maybe he needs our help". "Cub is one of the best soldiers here. He is perfectly capable of the assignment given to him" Sergeant finished. "But Sir we are worried about him. He has never been gone this long before" Wolf pressed. "Cub is perfectly fine and will return to base shortly, now get out of my office and don't bother me about it again." Sergeant yelled shoving K-unit out the door. "And get back to work" He finished, slamming the door shut. K-unit's worry was not quenched but instead continued to grow.