Chapter 3

Alex completed his mission in a week. The mission level was lower than his usual ones but if was his first mission since being rescued from a Scorpia facility after being held captive for 3 months. MI6 may be mean but they weren't stupid they wanted Alex on the top of his form when he went back to dealing with Scorpia. Of course Alex didn't finish the mission without injury but they were relatively minor, only a couple of cuts and bruises with some superficial bullet wounds. Now Alex was heading back to BB. "So Cub where have you been?" Wolf asked as Alex walked into Cabin K. "Sergeant sent me out for a civilian opp." Alex answered creating a believable lie on the spot. "Well what did you do how did it go?" Eagle asked bouncing around. "It went fine and if you want to know details go ask sergeant."Alex responded a little too coldly. K-unit flinched away, and wisely dropped the subject. Alex sighed to himself he knew what they had seen, they had seen his eyes the cold hardened eyes of a veteran of war. This new cycle of Alex going out for missions and training with K-unit on his time off became a regular routine. K-unit continued to grow suspicious of their teammate but didn't voice their concerns.

Alex had worked his way up to his normal mission level, suicidal. He went back to BB with more injuries but he was glad he got to go back to a cabin filled with people who cared instead of an empty house filled with bad memories. Alex saw the questions in their eyes but he knew he couldn't reveal his cover. Instead he made an effort to be more open and friendly towards K-unit when he was a BB. Now when running through drills or courses Alex carried on friendly conversations with his teammates. Alex knew somewhere in the back of his mind that it was too good to be true and that it would have to end sometime, but he ignored those thoughts, he just wanted to enjoy his time with K-unit. The time came for R&R. Wolf, Snake, Fox, and Eagle always stayed together when they were on break. This time they invited Alex to join them. "Hey Cub me Wolf, Fox and Eagle all stay together when we are on R&R do you want to join us?" Snake asked. "I don't see why not, it'll be fun" Alex said. He had already gotten clearance to stay with K-unit from MI6 after his last mission. Thankfully he would not be called out on any missions during R&R. "Yay we are going to have so much fun" Eagle shouted jumping up and down like the hyperactive kid he was.  

Alex and the rest of K-unit stayed at Wolf's apartment. Each of them ran upstairs like little kids to get first choice on the bedrooms. Alex of course ran with them but he was cautious at the same time, constantly scanning for dangers. This did not go unnoticed by K-unit. K-unit spent the rest of the day settling in and enjoying their new found freedom. They spent most of their break lounging around and just messing around. Thankfully for Alex K-unit seemed to have stopped questioning him about his life outside of the SAS. It was the last weekend before they had to report back to BB and Alex and K-unit decided they would spend it at the movies. They were on their way back to Wolf's apartment discussing the movie. "It was awesome. I loved the gun fights" Eagle exclaimed. "Me too I liked the sword fight better though." Fox chimed in. "Well I thought the special effects we cool did you see those explosions" Snake said. "The aliens were creepy but awesome at the same time" Wolf added. Alex did not join in on the conversation. He had a feeling that something was off. Alex had learned to trust his instincts they had saved his life a multitude of times. "Hey Cub what did you think of the movie" Eagle asked. "All the action scenes were entertaining and the sarcasm made me laugh but I thought...". Alex never got to finish his comment. The suv they were all riding was suddenly hit from the side and thrown to the side of the road. Wolf tried to regain control of the vehicle, as he was driving, but it was no use another car came and rammed them from the side throwing them off the road and into the deep ditch. the car rolled several times before coming to a stop upside down. "Everyone ok" Wolf cried out trying to get out of the car. "I'm ok" Snake said. "Me too" Eagle said. "I'm fine but I think I have a broken wrist" Fox cried out. " I'm fine we should try and get out of the car" Alex said with a tone of authority they had never heard from him. Inside Alex was silently cursing to himself he knew what was happening. I should have know Scopria would attack me outside of BB. They have been quiet for too long Alex thought as he scrambled out of the car. Alex was the first one out of the car, followed by Eagle and Wolf. Snake was helping Fox get out with his broken wrist. Alex turned around slowly scanning the area for Scorpia agents. "What happened?" Eagle asked. "I don't know some car just hit us off the road" Wolf answered. "Well what are we going to do now " Fox asked while Snake was wrapping up his wrist. "Shh" Alex told them. He was trying to find Scorpia and their chatter was just distracting him and not to mention making it easier for Scorpia to find them. "Cub whats up do you know what happened" Wolf asked. "I should have know they would come during R&R!" Alex exclaimed. "What do you mean Cub? Do you know... something.. " Snake asked before dropping to the ground. "Snake!" Eagle cried out before dropping himself. Scorpia was shooting at them. Alex ran over to Snake, he was the closest, and felt for a pulse. He felt it steady just slow which meant Scorpia wasn't aiming to kill. They wanted to take them alive. Alex paled thinking about his last experience in a Scorpia facility. Around him the rest of K-unit dropped like flies. Alex felt the tranq bullet enter his arm. He tried to stay awake for as long as possible but it was no use. The last thing Alex saw before blacking out was a militia of armed Scorpia soldiers surrounding the passed out K-unit.