Chapter 9

*Marius*

I was not entirely sure about Javert. Gavroche did not seem trusting and the hand of Eponine that was laid on my shoulder protectively showed that she was not too trusting of the fellow. "Let him join." I told everybody despite mistrust. Not everybody could be treacherous. Surely.

"Are you out of your mind?" This was Gavroche. His wide eyes were scared and hurt. He shouldn't be here. He should be miles away, at home tucked up in his bed with what remained of his family.

"Maybe." I scratched the back of my neck as Eponine's hand fell away.

"He she is Gavroche. He is completely insane." It wasn't playful like was to be expected usually in Eponine's tone. It was accusing and dark. As if I had just carried out the most immense betrayal.

*Eponine*

How could Marius do this. I said he couldn't be trusted. Gavroche said so but here he was welcoming this not so strange stranger through our prepared barricade. How despairing was the French Revolution? I wanted to be a different nationality. I didn't want to be French. I wasn't proud to be French but I would die serving the right cause.

"There will be no attack till tonight." Javert said simply.

"Traitor." Gavroche cried before he could stop himself. I pulled him back, away from Javert but there was little I could do. The word had already been spoken. Such an accusation had to be taken seriously but they wouldn't take Gavroche seriously. He was a child. Just like they wouldn't take me seriously because I was a woman.