chapter 8

*Marius*

In the middle of all this madness, I had near enough just proposed to Eponine. She was enchanted but I was dissapointed that she had thought me a liar. She thought that me telling her I was in love with her was a lie. It couldn't possibly be a lie. How could something like this, this strong, ever be a lie?

After Eponine had recieved my offer with a great amount of ardent gratitude and admiration, we both just stood there. We looked into each others eyes. Eponine had the most incredible eyes, whatever she may say about them. They were the darkest brown, like the colour of Rosewood, with an eery sort of red tint. They were simply marvellous.

"Really, Marius?" This is hardly the place to start kissing the girl of your dreams, or whatever." Grantaire was complaining now. The only one who hadn't complained was the brother of young Gavroche; Courfeyrac. His dark hair lolled over his face and he sat quietly, observing everything.

"Give them a break, we could all be dead by tomorrow!" Courfeyrac spoke up. Gavroche nodded in agreement. Those two were so close. I wish I had someone I was as close as that to. But I realised that I didn't need to wish as I had Eponine right by my side.

The night was growing thick and dark fast. There was a person to the far end who wanted to join the revolution. He didn't look trustworthy in my opinion. And Eponine shifted nervously.

*Eponine*

The person that was stood beyond the barricade had a familair body figure and was very untrustworthy if it was who I thought it was. Javert. The policeman. He certainly most definately could not be trusted. He served the law like some people served God.

Why must Javert turn up now right at this moment. I knew it was too good to be true. But then the silhouette spoke, with words I never expected to come out of this man's mouth. He was trying to help us. They wanted to attack. But not tonight. Gavroche knew though. He knew this man wasn't trustworthy. And he told everyone so.

"Don't be silly. He's just trying to help!" Marius scolded Gavroche who immediately went into a sulk.

"I think he might be right." I gently placed a hand onto Marius' shoulder and squeezed.