Chapter 3

*Eponine*

I wished the best for Marius and Cosette, I really did. I wanted them to be happy; both of them. But it didn't stop it from hurting. How could it not hurt when I'd loved Marius practically from the first day?

Life was pretty meaningless to me. I'd tried to help mother and father run the pub for a while but eventually we had to sell it to some wealthy man with a lot more money to run it than us. No other place would take me up. They wouldn't allow me to work in the needle threading factories because I proved useless with the pretty pointless machine we had to use. The only other option was to marry and live off what they earned. But how could I do that when I don't know anyone wealthy apart from Marius? Then an idea came to me, I knew exactly what I was going to do.

*Marius*

I finally knew her name. Cosette. It suited her pretty little face and her big blue eyes. Her blonde hair really was perfect, even in the French rain it shone perfection from every hair on her head. I was in love with her, I realised as I walked to the public house where the rest of the Revolution were.

"Aah Marius. There you are." Grantaire greeted me.

I smiled at my friend in greeting and sat beside Enjolras.

"What's wrong with Marius? Someone seems a little distracted." Enjolras teased, putting down his drink on the wooden table.

"If you'd seen her today, you might know how it feels. One moment of breathless desire." I explained to my friends what had happened.

"Oh give over. No one cares about your lonely soul. We strive towards a larger goal. There's a fight to be fought and a war to be won!" Grantaire patted me on the back. "Oh hello Gavroche."

Gavroche appeared at the top of the stairs. "General la Marc is dead." The mood shifted to very solemn. Who would lead us all? Enjolras put his hand over his mouth in shock. How can General la Marc be dead? Everyone was silent.

*Cosette*

"Father, what were you like in the past?" I was curious.

"Not now Cosette." He said, flippantly.

"Oh, come on father! You always put this off when I ask you. Why can't I just know? Surely it wasn't so bad." My voice wavered, sounding too harsh on my poor father. "I'm sorry. I-I-I didn't mean to lose my temper." I hung my head in shame and began to think of Marius. How I longed for him to hold me in his arms.

"I said, not now." He wandered out of the room, leaving me contemplating my thoughts by myself.