Just Give Up

S4 Ep 18 on the warpath

As requested by SeverideKidd.

We heard during this episode that Severide had been "mooning after Stella, for weeks."

What were those early meetings between them really like...before he broke into her house with a six pack?

☆☆☆☆☆

The classroom door opened, and their instructor, Lieutenant Steele, came in.

"Now listen up. Get changed. Physical Fitness in ten minutes. Outside. You've got a tough bastard assessing today, so good luck!"

There was a collective groan around the classroom. Hell, it was minus 5 degrees outside, and the instructors relished watching them breaking their balls on a good day let alone when you were freezing your dicks off...or in Kidd's and Jacob's case the only two females on the course, their sports bra encased breasts.

"Quit whining! You better hope you get your push-ups high and your squats low.''

Stella winced silently. Ordinarily, she wouldn't have blinked an eye over physical testing, but today, after a long, exhausting night fighting with Grant, she was wrecked.

"Cmon! Asses outta those chairs and outside in eight minutes!"

Stella was outside on the training ground in five, shivering in the blue CFD sweat shirt and pants a black knit hat pulled down low on her forehead.
Fuck it was cold, she was rubbing her hands together and cursing because she had put her gloves on this morning to scrape the ice off the windshield and forgotten them in the car.

Their instructor for the physical training came out with Lieutenant Steele, his head turned away from her but she didn't think it was anyone she knew. They usually had firehouse officers working extra hours at the academy on their days off, and most of them enjoyed flexing their rank. This one had his hands in his pockets, and she could have sworn stifled a yawn. There was a lazy indolence about him that Stella couldn't help picking up on.

"Cold enough for you, Kidd?"

Lieutenant Steele came striding over. An 'old school' officer whom she doubted fully approved of women in the CFD, but he was trying to embrace this 21st century drive as the latest gimmick he had to entertain.

"It's not so bad, Lieutenant." Her response was standard bravado for her. No one ever knew if or when Stella Kidd was struggling with any exercise, physical or academic, because she always wore the same dogged look of determination.

Beside him, Kelly Severide was battling the hangover from hell, really regretting the late night shots and even later sex with his neighbour Lucy, but now his eyes swung to his right at the unexpected sound of the throaty Winconsin accent.

Wide, almond shaped eyes flickered over to him, and as brown met blue, both simultaneously clung and Kelly felt his hangover take an immediate back seat, acutely aware of a sensation similar to tingles creeping up his spine.

"This is Lieutenant Kelly Severide from firehouse 51, rescue Squad 3. He's gonna be assessing your physical fitness today, Kidd."

There was a moment of disorientation when Stella felt an involuntary blush rise up her neck and she unconsciously wrapped her arms around herself from the cold, her composure completely derailed by the way that the hottest instructor she had ever seen was staring at her.

"Lieutenant Severide." She acknowledged blinking hard. Even in her own ears, her voice sounded husky, competely drowned out by the sound of her heartbeat.