𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

The days after that horrid night were long and very isolated.

I refused to pick up the phone when my family called me, wouldn't open the door to my friends who never believed me anyway. Locked myself in until the door got busted down because the building manager was concerned about my welfare. I didn't care.

It was my fault, I should've done more. Should've done more to stop the dare from happening, to stop Marlee from being so influenced by Nova and Silvia.

My stomach churned and twisted and growled from the lack of food I had eaten. My eyes dark with bags beneath them. I refused to close them. As when I did, all I saw were those eight glowing eyes blinking back at me and the sound of chittering legs against the forest floor. I didn't want to see it and I didn't want to imagine Marlee being mauled alive by one of those things, whether or not that really was what go to her, apparently none of us will never know.

The only people who I dared pick up the phone to was Marlee's parents who consoled me just as I consoled them, they were also (funnily enough) the only people who even wanted to believe what I saw in the woods. We talked on the phone for hours, Marlee's parents switching the phone back and forth between one another so we can grieve together. I ignored the incoming calls, putting my phone onto 'do not disturb.'

Eventually, our conversation died down and we ended the call, right at the exact moment when the door got busted down.

"You could've let us know you're alive for Christ sake, Kira!" The general building manager exclaimed in panic, relived to see me alive apparently.

I stayed quiet, again, not caring. Turns out now that my door was bust down I wasn't able to stay in that room anymore as they explained to me and I was also told there were no other empty rooms available which would also give me the space and privacy away from a new roommate. They said they thought it would be better for me to be alone - ironically enough considering they just tore my door down for being alone.

"I think it might be best for you to stay at your family's for a while." The general building manager explained. "It's the only suitable place for you to stay and it'll be up to you whether or not you want to continue your classes. If you decide not to attend we will put your studies on hold and you can attend and come back whenever you feel up to it. Take as much time off as you need. This is a tough time for us all."

A tough time for us all. Right.

Because doing another school assembly in the honour of Marlee would help us all magically feel better, which they had indeed done yesterday to let the entire school know what had happened. A stupid dare.

The police came knocking a few times too, the same officer with the same stupid moustache coming to my door knocking. I didn't reply or even open the door, just went over and made sure him and the two other officers he was with that I could hear heard me locking the door and blasting some music through Marlee's stereo. I didn't want to talk about what happened, not since the fact that nobody decided to believe me.

They came knocking today too, just about an hour after the building manager left, which the officers saw they had no need to knock but did so anyway on the doorframe to alert me of their presence as the door was now gone and I was packing up my things, ready to move back to my family home.

"Hey kiddo, we need some information, you ready to talk?" The pushy officer from yesterday questioned me from across the room.

I shoved my clothes into my gym bag, collecting the last of my belongings before heading over to the door where the officers stood. "I don't know, you tell me, are you finally willing to believe my story or not? Because it seems that people really love to disapprove of my story when they weren't there the night of Marlee's disappearance."