𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

My brain fogged with fatigue the next morning despite the 12 hour sleep I had.

I woke up to a knock on my door, telling me to get up and get dressed to which I obliged but not before a hot shower - one of the best showers I've had in my life, the muck washing off me as brown water down the drain. After drying off, I found a wardrobe filled with all sorts of clothes ranging from dresses to what I assume is casual everyday wear. I ended up going with a pullover blouse top which was made out of silk and stopped just above my belly button. It had a cut going all the way down my cleavage leaving little to the imagination. I paired it with some simple black skin tight trousers before making my way downstairs into the living room - which I hoped was where they wanted to meet with me as it was the only part of the house I really knew.

Zephyr and Sienna were sat on the sofas opposite each other talking quietly and seriously before I entered - their attention sliding to me.

"Morning," I greeted awkwardly, unsure what to say.

"It's the afternoon," Sienna smiled.

"Oh."

She laughed, getting off the couch and bringing over a tray of food from the coffee table beside the sofa. "Have some food, you must be starving."

She led me to the couch and I chose to sit on the same couch as her - ignoring the blazing stare of Zephyr before digging into my meal which was just some bacon and egg omelette with some apple juice. Pretty human to me.

My appetite surprised me as it yearned for food, finally able to swallow food without immediately throwing it back up again.

"So, we talked last night and Zephyr agreed to let you stay for a few days as long as you follow a few rules," Sienna explained.

I stared at them to continue as I chewed my food, not realising how hungery I had been before.

Zephyr cleared his throat. "If you want to stay you'll have to blend in, wear the cloak Sienna gave you if you wish to go outside the house. Let us know if you leave the house, you're jeopardising our livelihood with you just being here."

"You have to understand," Sienna quickly explained before I could defend myself against his tone. "We would get in a lot of trouble with the council if they find out we're holding a human. It's one of the biggest rules we've got here - don't communicate with humans. You're not supposed to know about us."

My mind whirled as I put my utensils down to speak, the heavenly taste of bacon fresh in my mouth, one of the best plates of bacon and egg omelette I've had.

"Why would you jeopardise everything to save me?" I asked. "I really truly don't understand."

"Trust me, neither do I," Zephyr scoffed, earning an eye roll from Sienna. "But we're willing to help you that's all that you should worry about."

That earned him a glare from me, but I said nothing as I finished off my plate and the cup of apple juice Sienna pointed out was mine on the small wooden coffee table beside the sofa.

"What's the deal with the human and Fae thing? Why aren't we allowed in the forest?" I questioned.

The siblings looked between each other before Zephyr answered, brushing his hair back which fell right back in his face anyway.

"There was a deal made between Queen Lusia and the human founder of the Island. They agreed that the humans stayed where they were and the Fae stayed here. We were to put a glamour around the forest so that the humans don't hear us or see us behind the fence UNLESS you're on this side of the fence - then the glamour is useless because you're among us."

Sienna carried on for him. "The deal also mentioned that if humans found themselves on this side of the fence that they are to be killed or cast a spell on so they forget all that they have seen."

"Why wouldn't those brothers just do that to me then?" I frowned. "Why would they insist so much on killing me?"

"Because the only way to get the spell is through the Queen and that means the rest of the forest will come to find out a human walks among us which causes chaos." Zephyr explained.

I thought for a second. "You sound like this has happened once before."

Zephyr went quiet, refusing to meet my eyes as he fidgeted with his hands on the couch, grabbing a pillow from beside him and plucking the thread out of it.

"Because it has," Sienna spoke in a hushed manner. "And it didn't end well at all for the human."

"What happened?"

"What happens to every human who steps a foot over the fence," she looked away now too, almost in guilt. "Some of us don't actually mind the humans, wouldn't mind living among your kind, but the vast majority do and well, that's a story for another time about why. However, the time a family took in a human, they went to retrieve the spell from the queen and upon their return they found the human dead, unrecognisable."

It was that bad. Shit.

Sweat started to build up around my brows, the air in the room all of a sudden becoming very hot and my hands became clammy. I still couldn't understand why the hell they would risk it all for me and why, despite Zephyr's reaction last night at the mere sight of me, he agreed to let me stay.

"You were against me staying last night," I stated, catching Zephyr's attention. "What changed?"

"It's not because of you," he scoffed. "Don't get your hopes it, I did it for my sister."

Whatever.

They were clearly hiding the real reason Sienna took me in, but if I was staying here for a while I would eventually get it out of one of them.

"So, what happens now?"

"Oh!" Sienna jumped on the couch, an excited grin on her face. "I could give you a tour of the village."

"I thought your kind could smell me? Won't that be obvious if I leave my scent?"

"Not if I glamour you silly," she rolled her eyes. "You won't even need a cloak, it'll make it seem to everyone else as if you had the same ears and eyes as the rest of us, except you're just a bit shorter than us so you'll have to get a pair of my high boots to make you taller or it'll give it away - a few inches is all you need."

"Let's tour the village then."

𝐁𝐄𝐘𝐎𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐓