Koopas Are Loyal..?

Y/N's species: Human

You never truly understood the koopas. That said a lot, since you spent your entire life with them, and tried really, really hard to. After all, Kamek did teach you to do so. And even though he was your closest thing to family, you disagreed with almost everything he taught you. From despising all other kingdoms to trusting no one, all to serve Bowser, the king of koopas someday.

None of this ever felt right to you. Having to watch others die for your own power made you want to die too. These cruel intentions just made you sick inside. It was painful, and you despised it.

You stared out your window, thoughts wandering. You saw the entirety of the dark lands, and the cruel creatures that roamed it. However, from a far distance, you caught a glimpse of the Mushroom Kingdom. The bright colors and blue skies had always peaked your interest, but you were never allowed to go there. You saw others lands too, which seemed equally interesting.

A small smile spread on your face at the thought of exploring these lands, and having friends to take along too. But to you, leaving the dark lands felt like a fairytale. The only other place you had ever been to was an abandoned castle, and that was because Kamek took you.
You knew he would never support your dreams of leaving. No one else would either. You'd be seen as a traitor and a discrace. Koopas never do such things, and koopas are dedicated to the kingdom.

Koopas are loyal.

You flopped onto your bed, groaning at your situation. You weren't getting any younger, and the days of serving Bowser were growing near. You'd have to make your choice eventually. As you stuffed your face into a pillow, you wondered: "Why is obeying worth it? What if whatever's out there is worth the risk?"

As the urge to leave grew stronger, you ran back to your window, and the other lands seemed more beautiful than ever. This urge excited you, since you never left the dark lands before. And living without the dread of lost lives and living up to a koopa's expectations seemed wonderful.

However, doubts flooded your mind as well. Fears of becoming lost and locals of other lands rejecting you were the first to come to mind. Of course, this wasn't the first time. You'd considered leaving in the past, but this kingdom was all you ever knew. Leaving would be the biggest risk you'd ever taken.

Hope being consumed, you sighed and laid back on your bed.

"It's too risky." You thought to yourself. "I'd probably end up worse than if I stayed here."

You fell asleep as your mind was hard at work, deciding your own fate. As you slept, you asked yourself this question:

"Would a new life be worth the risk?"

When you woke up, it was late at night, and many of the minimal koopas left in the castle were asleep. Staring at the roof of your bedroom, you made your final decision.

"I'll take that risk."