What Matters Most

This chapter will be written in a slightly different perspective. Just this chapter! The next will be normal again ^^

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let's rule the world, together. Forever. Will you marry me?" Bowser reached his hand towards Kamek, who was in a Princess Peach costume. They'd been practicing Bowser's proposal, and Kamek had been doing all he could to support him.

"Oh, yes!" He cried

Suddenly, the doors opened, revealing the koopa general.

"Ahem."

"WHAT?!"

"We have found the princess and the mustachioed human. He has defeated Donkey Kong and won the Kong army." The blue-shelled koopa told them.

"So, like, Peach was super impressed?" Bowser asked nervously.

"It appears so, yes. They are heading to the secret passage."

"Oh, they think they can surprise me, huh?" An evil grin spread across Bowser's face. "Two can play that game... send your troops to the end of Rainbow Road. Wait for them there, and don't let them escape. Especially not Mario."

The general nodded, and left to do so.

"We really don't need any more humans around here." Bowser sighed, taking off his wedding hat. Kamek froze up at this, thinking of Y/N almost immediately. He thought of how depressed and afraid she must be, and how her time was running out. Unable to brush off Bowser's words, he quickly left to change out of his dress.

He had to see her.

Taking his broomstick, he teleported to the lava pit. Most of the prisoners didn't acknowledge him, since they were too drowsy and distracted. As for the luma, he was busy blowing bubbles and singing.

"Life is sad, prison is sad, life in prison is very very sad."

Using his broomstick, Kamek flew towards Y/N. He watched as you slept silently, full of regret and pity. Sighing, he reached into your cage, stroking your H/C hair.

Deep down, he always knew taking her in as a baby was a risk.  Even on the day he found her, he recieved hesitant permission to raise her.  So, he tried his hardest to teach the girl all he knew, in hopes for her to serve Bowser too, and maybe even replace him one day. But it could never happen, and he knew it. Bowser never tolerated you, and Y/N hadn't learned anything quick enough. It was nothing more than a silly dream. And now, she had to die because of it.

Wishing he could have done better, Kamek longed to help Y/N. However, to save her, he would have to betray his kingdom. He'd have to betray the koopa he raised to be king.

He still wanted nothing more than to get her out of this firey hell, but his son and kingdom were too important to let go of. And to make matters worse, he had a wedding to help plan now. Sniffling, he backed away from Y/N's cage. He loved her dearly, but he couldn't sacrifice his kingdom for her. He had to think of what matters most. To him, and to his son.

Before he left, he noticed Luigi, who was also sleeping. The memory of watching him be taken away rushed back to him. Unknown to Y/N, he had at first refused to tell Bowser anything about you or his brother as well. So, that had to mean you two were friends. However, it only made Kamek feel worse. Someone you hardly knew wanted to help you, but the one who raised you was too scared to even try.

Guilt more unbearable than ever, he looked at them both one final time.

~Timeskip~

Luigi opened his eyes, still exhausted from all that's happened. However, he was instantly surprised to see his hat beside him in the cage. Honestly, he didn't think he'd ever get that back. He looked around before putting it back on, and also noticed a white rose sitting by Y/N's chest as she slept.