Cursed With Hope

"Go ahead, dear."

"..What??"

"You'll need to know this someday."

Younger and weaker, you trembled as you held your wand. Kamek watched behind you as you prepared to use your first torture spell. You stared straight into the eyes of the test subject, which was a small yellow toad. And frankly, he seemed even more terrified than you. You knew that koopas hated toads, but you never thought you'd have to do something like this.

"Go on." Kamek told you gently. 

 The toad yelped as you lifted him up with your magic. Terrified to do him harm, you hesitated to use the spell. You could hardly bring yourself to do something like this.

"Remember the motions, Y/N." Kamek instructed. Inhaling deeply, you motioned your wand like you were taught, and the toad's body tightened as it was violently squeezed.

The toad's cries of pain rang in your ears, and it wouldn't stop. Your stomach twisted and turned, and your palms sweated as you squeezed him harder and harder.

It felt like it lasted forever.

"Well done, dear. Your spells are improving." Kamek told you smiling.
With that, you dropped the toad, sighing . The toad groaned as he struggled to get up. Knowing he was a prisoner, you did want to help him. You wanted the poor thing's suffering to end. Kamek put his hand on your shoulder, feeling proud.

"Come, Y/N. We will continue your training tomorrow." He led you out of the room. You looked back at the injured toad full of guilt and pity. He didn't deserve what was happening to him, and you knew it.

"Y/N"

You turned back to Kamek, who was waiting by the door. Hanging your head, you exited the room

~End Of Flashback/Dream~

"Time, like hope, is an illusion."

"PLEASE, WE ARE DEPRESSED ENOUGH!!"

You snapped awake to the penguin king screaming at the luma, who was still going on about how sad life is. And that dream didn't help matters. In fact, it only made you feel worse. Thoughts wandering, you wondered if this was how that little toad felt. Pure pain, and regretting everything he'd ever done.

In the midsts of your thoughts, you heard faint screaming. You noticed it getting louder, so you stood up to see what was happening. Then, another cage fell in-between you and the luma, only lower than both of you. Looking inside the cage, you were shocked to see Luigi, short of breath and struggling to stand. (And still without his hat.)

"I'm sorry.." You whispered, hope feeling shattered once again. Luigi glanced at you sadly before looking down at the lava below them.

"Where are we?" He asked you. In seconds, he was answered by the luma's psychopathic laughs. He shrieked in surprise of the blue creature, who stared at him with a joyful smile.

"Home." The luma answered.

You sighed at this. "Don't listen to him. He's cute, but he's awful."

"Nothing is more awful than a prisoner's long, pointless life." The luma responded, twirling slowly in his cage. The other prisoners groaned. You facepalmed, sick of him and his cruel words. He affected you too, and he would never be quiet.

"There's gotta be a way out of here." Luigi thought out loud, looking around for any possible escape route.

"There isn't. It's no use anyway." You looked away as you told him this, wishing that there was.