Too Late?

Injured and fatigued, the three returned to the palace in seconds. Now back in the waiting room, they saw Peach talking to Toad, seeming sorrowful and upset. However, she stopped when she saw them, and immediately frowned.

"Where have you all been?!!" She shouted. "It's been over an hour!"

"Princess, calm down... we just need to see Y/N." Mario told her.

Before Peach could respond, she fell silent. Two words stood at the edge of her throat. She'd said them before countless times, but it was never an easy thing to say. Especially not to Mario. But it had to be done, like any other time. They had to know.

"...She's gone." She muttered somberly.

The same two words Kamek never wanted to hear.

Almost forgetting the mushroom, Luigi went pale. He would have been better off unconscious than hearing that. Now, only one thought remained in their minds;

Did it have to be her?

Peach gave them a pitiful look, but her eyes widened when she saw what Kamek was holding.

"Where did you get that?" She questioned. Mario smiled as he moved away, making Kamek face to face with the princess. But before he could answer, Peach regained her senses.

"Wait.. that doesn't matter right now. You can bring her back!" She sped-walked to the door of the emergency room, signaling Kamek to follow. As the two entered, Mario and Luigi stayed close to the door with Toad, confident, yet nervous.

In the room, Kamek saw a cot, and a white blanket covering Y/N.

It was true.

Taking a deep breath, he approached the cot, and uncovered her. Her skin was cold and bloody, and her face was completely lifeless. It was nearly too much for Kamek to handle, and his arm trembled as he moved her hair out of her face.

"I'm sorry... we did all we could." A toad nurse sighed, watching him and Peach.

But just as Kamek was ready to bring her back, something stopped him.

He looked back behind him, seeing the Mario brothers side by side. But his focus fixed on Luigi, who seemed just as uneasy as him.

He began to think about Luigi's time trapped with Y/N, and how they defended each other from Bowser. Even when they were near death, they still looked out for each other. Lava, magic, spinies, it didn't matter for those two. Luigi still cared about Y/N, and she cared about him. He had done so much for her, when Kamek wouldn't even try. So, did he really deserve to be the one to do this?

Sighing, he looked at his child one last time. He walked back to the others, and looked up at Luigi, presenting him the mushroom.

"Take it."

At first, Luigi was surprised by this. He gave him a confused look, hesitant to take the mushroom.

"Go on. Don't keep her waiting." Kamek told him softly. Luigi glanced at the others, who seemed supportive of this decision.

"Are you sure?" He asked. He was responded to with a nod as Kamek brought the mushroom closer to him. Finally, he gingerly took the mushroom, and walked past Peach, approaching Y/N's cot.

Similarly to Kamek, her dead body was painful to even think about, let alone look at. And the leftover blood did him no favors. Swallowing the lump in his throat, he held the mushroom close to his chest, trying not to think about this sight.

"Okay..." He whispered to himself, taking a step closer to Y/N. He lifted up her chin, anxious to bring her back. It had all came down to this. The shy guys, the cages, the spinies. Everything.