sixteen

sixteen

~ Vanessa ~

I groan trying to cover up the bags under my eyes from the endless nights of no sleep and feeding Melody every two or three hours. I apply my eyeliner and mascara before adding a nice purple tint to my lips. "Hey, beautiful" Nathan presses a kiss to my cheek and I return the smile. "Hey."

"So I hear you're going to see your mum today with Melody?" Nathan starts a conversation.

"Yeah, I feel like we haven't spoken in a while and she needs to meet her granddaughter" I reply and he nods agreeing with me. It's true, my mum managed to get her own place so she moved out a while ago and I've hardly seen her recently. We called each other a lot after I had Melody and today I'm taking her to meet her grandma for the first time.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Nathan asks and I sigh shaking my head and I feel his arms around my waist. "I can if you want me to, babe" He reassures me. "I don't want you to feel like you have to come" I tell him and he shakes his head smiling. "I don't, honestly, I'll get ready and we can go together. Them we can start talking about when we're moving into the new house."

"Okay," I kiss his lips before he walks away to start getting ready. I'd completely forgotten about the new house. Well, sort of, Nathan and I have agreed to stay with my dad and Karen whilst we got used to being parents and when the time is right, we'll move into our big beautiful house.

"There we go, gorgeous" I grin down to Melody as I do up the last button on her cute baby grow that Siva and Nareesha bought for her. It is white with cute little sea horses and seaweed printed all over and the buttons were starfish shaped. "Jess, will you hold her for a second whilst I go and grab the baby bag?" I look up at Jess who is watching the news and reading a magazine. "Yeah sure" She replies and I lay Melody in her arms and run upstairs to grab the newly packed baby bag for whenever we go out anywhere with Melody.

"Hey babe, you ready?" Nathan returns fully dressed and I nod with a smile. "Yeah let's go."

We make sure Melody is strapped in safely in her car seat in the back seat and I sit beside her whilst Nathan drives to my mum's apartment. When Nathan parks up the car, I un strap Melody from her seat, I make sure she's warm with her blankets before Nathan and I walk into the building and find the door to my mum's apartment.

Nathan knocks and it takes a while before my mum answers the door looking flushed and her body is wrapped in a robe. "Vanessa!" She breathes as if she wasn't expecting me. "Uh, come in you two" She steps aside and Nathan and I stroll inside. Everywhere seems clean and tidy which is good. "Is this little Melody?" Mum gasps looking over my shoulder at the baby in my arms and I hum in response.

"I'll uh, make us some tea. Tea Nathan?" Mum offers.

"That would be great, thank you Mrs. Green" He replies and I hand Melody over to him whilst I help my mum make tea. "Mum, what the hell is wrong with you?" I hiss at her and she frowns shrugging it off. "What are you talking about, sweetie?"

"Why are you so flustered and why the hell are you only wearing a robe and why did it take you so long to go to answer the door?" I question her and she hesitates. "I.. I was taking a shower and you caught me off guard" She replies and I scoff.

"Do you think I'm stupid, mum? Someone's here aren't they?"

"No!" She snaps quickly after my statement and I fold my arms raising an eyebrow. "Nobody's here" She repeats before grabbing the tray of tea and biscuits and carrying it over to the coffee table. I sit down beside Nathan who is cradling Melody in his arms.

"Kate?" An awfully familiar voice calls before the person enters the room and everybody's eyes widen as I look at who is standing in front of us only wearing a towel around his waist.