twelve

twelve

~ Vanessa ~

"Do you want to be together?" Nathan questions. I open my mouth to answer but a knock at the door cuts me off. "I'll get it" I smile getting up and walking to the door. I unlock it and I open it where someone familiar looks up, wearing a restaurant uniform.

"Ollie?" I gasp, almost choking on my own words.

"Vanessa" He smirks, eyeing me up and down. "Good to see you again."

"I...I-" I can't manage a sentence. He hasn't changed at all either. Like literally, despite him looking a little more built up and a bit taller. Still the same old Ollie.

"C- Can I have my pizza please?" I stutter.

"Can I have the money?"

I quickly hand over the right amount and Ollie hands over the pizza box.

"Hey, so-" I cut him off by slamming the door shut before he can finish.

"Everything alright?" Nathan appears and I purse my lips together, nodding.

"Good. Let's eat!" He grabs the pizza from me and leads me back over to the sofa. We sit down, holding the box between us and we each eat the pizza whilst watching continuous episodes of Family Guy.

"I almost forgot" I gasp. "I'm moving into the new house on Saturday!"

"You excited?" Nathan chuckles, keeping an arm round my shoulders. "Excited? Doesn't even come to it. I wish you were moving in with me" I pout and he laughs pecking my lips. "One day," He whispers. "One day, it'll just be me, you and our baby."

*****

I flutter my eyes open, seeing on the big living room clock it's only 8am. Nathan is still sleeping soundly on the couch beside me, and I'm guessing Max and Nina are back due to their shoes sitting beside the door, when they weren't there before.

My eyes widen as a sharp excruciating pain shoots down below. But then it goes away, and I'm feeling fine again. I suddenly feel the need to go to the loo, so that's what I do. But then the worst happens.

"Vanessa?" Nina calls quietly and I walk out of the bathroom. "Vanessa? What's the matter?" She frowns, scanning my tear stained cheeks. "Nina," I shake. "I'm- I'm bleeding!"

Nina's eyes widen, she knows exactly what's happening.

"Right, c'mon you need to go to hospital. Boys wake up!" She yells at the top of her voice making Nathan groan and Max appears from their room.

"What's going on? Why are you shouting at this time of the morning?" Max rubs his eyes with a groan. "Put some clothes on, Vanessa's bleeding. We need to get her to hospital now!"

"Wait? What's going on?" Nathan walks over to us.

"Nathan, I'm- I'm bleeding!" I cry and he frowns before widening his eyes. I gasp as another sharp pain starts. "Sh, it's okay, I'm here" Nathan wraps his arms around me. "I'm here, I'm here! I'll drive, Nathan carry her down to the car" Max instructs as we all rush out of the apartment. Nathan scoops me up bridal style and we get into Max's car. I stay cuddled tight into Nathan's chest as the pain worsens.

"Nina, call my mum and tell her to meet us at the hospital" Nathan instructs and she does so. "Everything's going to be okay" Nathan whispers in my ear, rubbing a hand up and down my back comfortingly.

We stop outside the hospital and Nathan rushes in with me huddled in his arms. "Somebody help me! She's pregnant."

A nurse instructs him to follow her and we end up in a room with a bed and god knows what else. "She's pregnant and she's bleeding" Nathan explains. Many nurses come poking and prodding me. "Antepartum haemorrhage!" A nurse calls.

"She must be taken into the delivery room immediately!" Another one joins in and they start bringing up bars on the sides of the bed. "Nathan?" I whimper. "You can't, it's too early!" Nathan exclaims, holding my hand.

"Sir if we don't do this now, we'll lose either mother or baby. Even both, we must proceed" The nurses are setting everything up. Including an IV in my hand which is quite painful. "Nathan" I tug his arm and he looks down at me. "Am I gonna die?"

"No!" Nathan shakes his head, cupping my face with his large hand. "I promise, everything will be okay" He kisses my nose. "I'm scared" My voice shakes. Nathan presses a long heart warming kiss on my lips before resting his forehead against mine.

"Don't be."

And as from his words, I am taken away.

~ Nathan ~

"Here" Max hands me a hot cup of coffee. "Thanks" I mumble, holding it tightly. "She'll be alright, mate. She's a tough cookie" He reassures me. "She could die, Max. She could die, and I can't lose her. I love her" I chew on my lip and I hear Max's worried sigh.

"Nathan!" My mums voice calls from down the corridor and I turn to see her, Jess and Luke all running towards us. "Is she okay? Where is she? What's going on?" Luke questions. "Emergency delivery" Nina replies for me. "She was bleeding and apparently it's Antepartum haemorrhage."

"But.. That's life threatening" Mum whispers looking down. "Exactly" I swallow a lump in my throat, taking a quick swig of coffee. "She told me she was at a friends house" Luke mumbles with a confused frown.

"She was! She was with me" Nina steps forward with a small smile. "And then Max and Nathan went out so by the time they got back.. The bleeding had started" She lies but Luke seems to believe it. Thank god.

"Is she gonna be okay?" Jess asks worried. "We don't know, Jess" I place a hand on her arm. "Hopefully."

After hours of waiting, we see a nurse walking down the corridor towards us. "Family and friends of Vanessa Green?"

We all immediately stand up nodding.

"I'm happy to announce, mother and baby are both fine" We all let out sighs of relief. "The surgery went well, the baby has been taken down to the premature unit due to her being so small and early, she is struggling to breathe by herself. We are just waiting for Miss. Green to wake up" The nurse explains.

"She?" I raise my eyebrows. "Yes, Mr. Sykes. Are you the father?" I nod in response making her smile. "Well congratulations, you both have a beautiful baby girl!"

I gasp clamping a hand over my mouth with tears in my eyes. A precious baby girl. A daughter, me, Nathan James Sykes, a father. A daughter to love and to hold and to spoil and to protect. My two girls. Vanessa and our daughter.

"Congratulations mate" Max hugs me as well as everyone else, except Luke obviously. "Can I see her?" I ask the nurse. "Vanessa?" I add.

"Of course. Follow me" She turns around and starts walking away and I follow her. "Just in here" She points to the door and I nod, quietly stepping inside. My Nessa is lying there, pale looking, with all sorts of wires attached to her. Her eyes are closed and her chest slowly moves up and down to her breathing pattern.

I take a seat beside her and I grab her hand gently. "Hey beautiful" I whisper. "Nathan" Her weak voice whimpers quietly and I tighten my grip. "Baby," I breathe shuffling closer. "What happened?" Her voice croaks as she squints her eyes open.

"You've done it, love" My voice shakes. "We've got our little girl."

Her eyes water and I brush it away with my thumb.