Under the Moonlight

a/n: there were definitely more letters that took place between letters 1-4, but think of these as the more significant ones! i'm using a time skip to kanao's and tanjiro's final selection :)

~flashback~

I stepped onto the front porch of the Butterfly Estate and knocked. Kocho let me in quickly. "You came." She smiled brightly.

"I heard you were stressed."

She grabbed me by the Haori sleeve and led me to sit where the Wisteria trees by her house were growing. I took the Sake bottle besides us and poured us each a shot.

"I'm sure Kanao will pass final selection. I've seen how you and Kanae have been training her since childhood." I reassured.

"I hope so. I can't help but feel a bit anxious." Shinobu looked down as she poured and drank another shot.

I never saw her express her personal feelings with others, almost as if she was only comfortable with her emotions around me.

The night grew, and the moonlight shone on the two of us. We stargazed. I drank with Shinobu often, building my alcohol tolerance. But she still had a weaker one than me.

Nobody really expected Shinobu to be the type to endorse in alcohol consumption, she only drank with her close friends (Me and Mitsuri). She never did in front of other Hashira, even if it was a group gathering of all the Pillars together.

She also refuses to drink in front of the Butterfly Estate girls, knowing that they looked up to her dearly and she had to set her best foot forward.

But after a long day, and it was just me and her, we could relax and dial back the alertness.

"The moon is beautiful, isn't it?"

I was surprised she said that to me for a minute, not sure if she meant it the way poets did.

"Yes it is." I replied.

~end of flashback~

That was the first instance  she asked me if the moon was beautiful. After that she did it on occasion when it was just us two. I either replied yes, or kept quiet.

I've only gone through a few of her letters, but each time I remember her I hurt a little. I couldn't even cry when my friends hugged me goodbye. She was something else.