The Moment I Knew

a/n: picture this chapter as a the lantern scene from Tangled :)

~flashback~

I didn't own anything formal to wear. All my Kimonos were casual or sleepwear, since 90% of the time I was in my Demon Slayer Uniform.

I went to a Kimono store in a small village, since I had no sense of fashion (according to Uzui) I trusted the store worker to help me pick something nice for the festival.

The store owner picked me out a dark blue and white Kimono, "Young man, this Kimono suits you very well! Who are you trying to impress?? This is the one for you for sure!" The old store lady excitedly tied my Kimono for me.

"I have a date to a festival tonight." Even though Kocho did not specify it as a date, I just went along with the old woman's cheerful banter.

"Ah yes the Lunar New Year festival! She'll surely be swooned, and a great start to the year for you."

I purchased and left the store, I gave myself the benefit of the doubt and decided to believe what the store lady's words were true, and not some act to get me to buy it. 'Is this what Kocho considers as my best kimono?' I thought to myself.

~~
I arrive to the festival, all I could smell was street food and burnt fireworks. I look around the crowd trying to find the Hashira.

From afar, my gaze was met with Kocho. She wore a purple, floral kimono that was patterned and had different embellishments. I paused for a minute soaking up the view. "Tomioka-san!" She called out and waved, then gestured for me to come forward.

"I didn't know you have a sense of style! Flashy Kimono there Tomioka!" Uzui immediately pointed out my outfit.

"You look great, Tomioka." Kocho calmly complimented.

"..You too."

She looked beautiful.

(credits to original artist!)

I walked besides her as our group strolled through the festival, the entire town was brightly lit. Lanterns, food stalls, the sound of laughter.

"Let's release water lanterns!!" Kanroji pointed towards the big lake where couples sat together on a boat, each releasing a lantern to float on top of the water.

I helped Shinobu sit down into the boat, before taking a seat myself. "What do you wanna write before we let it down?" She asked me.

"I don't know, you pick."

She took the pen and wrote something, 'The moon is beautiful tonight.🦋'

We each grabbed a corner of the floating lantern, and released it together into the water. As we watched it float away towards the sea full of lanterns let down by others, a loud bang came from afar.

Fireworks went up into the sky and our attention was grabbed towards it.

I looked at her, and she looked back at me.

"Giyuu, happy new year." She said with a gentle tone, her eyes lit up just like the fireworks. And her smile looked sincere, unlike the one she wore everyday to work.

That was the moment I knew..I was in love with her.

~end of flashback~