Chapter Two: Veil of Judgement

Totem Tea Shop was an NAU student favorite. It showcased more than just the classic raspberry lemonade tea: they also offered more traditional teas from other cultures. Along with the drinks, they also sold small sweets to accompany. The place itself had a calm, rustic feel, with vertical, wooden slatted walls, which held just a touch of Asian inspiration in its architecture.

It'd been a while since Anne visited the shop; a traditional thai tea was something she'd been craving for a while. Never quite tasted like her mom's but it was reminiscently close. She ordered one, and although the cold variation was refreshing, she asked for it hot.

Like Sasha promised, she paid for both drinks. The tea barista returned, one hot cup of Anne's tea, and another, taller cup of something colorful, yet earthy. An iced, mixed berry matcha.

"Interesting, you like yours with honey and not sugar?"

"My mom always used honey," Anne replied as she was handed her cup. "It just tastes more like home."

"Well, since we're here, I'll let you choose where we sit," Sasha offered. Anne scanned the area and chose a corner next to a window; a table far enough from others to be private felt fitting.

"Thank you," Anne mentioned as they sat. "For the tea I mean."

"I'm a woman of my word," Sasha responded earnestly. "It's not every day I get interviewed by someone so prestigious."

Prestigious? Anne thought.

Anne laid her notebook on the table, flipping it open to the last page she'd been working on. This specific notebook was her journalism notes. Everything about every topic, subject or person she interviewed or wrote about would be in this book.

"So, is there a reason you don't appear thrilled?" Sasha took a sip of her drink.

"If the whole weight of this article being super important is any indication, then yes, there's a reason," Anne answered frank.

"Well, if you're on the committee, you gotta like it though, right? Why do something you're unhappy with?"

Anne took a moment to think about that.

"Of course I love the committee," Anne responded. "But someone had to handle the article. Everyone looked at me."

"You don't need to be a people pleaser to write a good article," Sasha continued. "And judging by stuff you've written before, I doubt this is any different."

Anne looked up at her unconvinced. "I know everyone on campus can see my work, but I still find it jarring hearing someone say they've seen what I've written."

"Jarring? Or just jarring that someone like me has read newsletters at all?" Sasha held a telling smirk.

"That's not what I said."

"I know it's implied," Sasha teased. "Believe it or not, I do read."

"Okay Miss Sasha, 'I can read', Waybright," Anne pulled the pen Marcy gave from the spine of her notebook. "Let's start with general information, although I'm pretty sure all the campus already knows who you are," Anne wrote out Sasha's name and jersey number.

"Well, I'm the team's tight end on offense, although I think I'm better at being our defensive backer."

"You've gained quite a reputation over the years: what makes the position work for you?"

"Hah," Sasha brought a hand to the back of her neck. "People tend to put emotion into the things they enjoy. I do that, just...rough."

"Tackling people for fun, that's somehow something I expected," Anne blew air from her nose.